My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Philalethes Society Self Destructing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traveling Man

Premium Member
Ugly stuff. Yes, the Philalethes is still banned in Texas.

And can anyone here (or care to) cite the reason the Philalethes was banned in Texas? (Would the Phylaxis be included too)? I have to ask for a (the) like reason...

I love these masonic type wikileak sites, they seem to take great pride in this kind of yellow journalism; a certain schadenfreude if you will. I have to wonder if anyone has bothered to find out the root cause of this schism? As I have known these fellows for quite some while and seeing both sides of this battle I’m sure that these newly pruned trees will bear greater fruit than before. Saying that it was an ugly mess is just gossip (although there are certain individuals that wished it to be declared as such). I’m sure that the changes were due and that freemasonry will be the better for it.

Sort of like the GLoT ought to recind their ban on the Philalethes Society... If they are smart!

Last edited:

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
And can anyone here (or care to) cite the reason the Philalethes was banned in Texas?

Yes. Nelson King decided that GLoT wasn't moving quickly enough to give recognition to Prince Hall Masonry, so he decided to pick a fight with then Grand Master Harrison. By doing so, he not only caused the delay of recognition of PH Masonry by GLoT for a number of years and gave those of us who were trying to accomplish it a bad case of heartburn, but he also managed to get membership in the Philalethes Society banned by the GLoT. We all had to drop our memberships or face Masonic charges. I'm saddened but not surprised that Philalethes is dying- it WAS a great organization.

(Would the Phylaxis be included too)?

No.

Sort of like the GLoT ought to recind their ban on the Philalethes Society... If they are smart!

Philalethes would have to submit a request to GLoT & it sounds like they're too busy with other issues. Quite frankly, with what is currently going on with them, I doubt they'd have any success here. King having retired is about the only thing that might help them in Texas. It's a shame, but the board knew, even back then, that King was a loose cannon & was causing problems. Since they didn't act back then, they're paying the price now.

tomasball

Premium Member
To put a fine point on it, the Philalethes Society was not so much banned, as removed from the approved list. In Texas it is not permissable to start or join an organization that predicate their membership on being a mason, unless that organization is approved by a vote of Grand Lodge. In the case of the Philalethes Society, that approval was removed. The Phylaxis Society has never sought to be approved by the Grand Loge of Texas.

Traveling Man

Premium Member
If I recall correctly the original incident came to fruition through a Masonic author from the Phylaxis Society attempting to give a speech in regards to the legitimacy of Prince Hall Masons to the Dallas chapter of The Philalethes Society. The Grand Master of Texas ordered him not to let the Prince Hall Mason speak. So the Philalethes Chapter President closed the meeting and all went home. Shortly thereafter the Philalethes Society was banned from the state of Texas and to this day it remains banned.

As to whether Brother King was loose cannon remains to be seen:

As Brother Allen E. Roberts states in “The Seekers of truth”:

The Philalethes Society Seekers of Truth:

Petty tyranny gave birth to The Philalethes Society," I wrote in 1988. "Some Masonic leaders," I continued, 'dressed in a little brief authority,' had attempted to inhibit the spread of truth. They had attacked, in many cases successfully, the publishing of the written word. They had endeavored to warp the minds of the greatest intellects in Freemasonry."

Beathard

Premium Member
I believe the Grand Master did the correct at the time. The presentation of Masonic papers at a Masonic event is communication. Neither PH nor blue lodge grand lodge allows this communication. The fault was in the invitation in the first place. I don't agree with the current standpoint on visitation, but the Grand Master must enforce current Masonic law.

Traveling Man

Premium Member
And I believe that without pressure from like organizations that Texas would still refuse recognition.
A Masonic event? There are other groups that are letting Co Masons and non-masons present papers, this under the same roof as the CGMNA, are these not Masonic events? I believe the word is called hypocrisy?

tomasball

Premium Member
I believe the Grand Master did the correct at the time. The presentation of Masonic papers at a Masonic event is communication. Neither PH nor blue lodge grand lodge allows this communication. The fault was in the invitation in the first place. I don't agree with the current standpoint on visitation, but the Grand Master must enforce current Masonic law.

As I recall, the issue that was presented to the Grand Lodge, (whether there were other motivations in the main players or not) was that the Philalethes Society allowed a member of the MWPHGL of Texas to join the society. (this all took place when that body was not recognized by the Grand Lodge of Texas. )

JohnnyFlotsam

Premium Member
I believe the Grand Master did the correct at the time. The presentation of Masonic papers at a Masonic event is communication. Neither PH nor blue lodge grand lodge allows this communication.

Please cite your references to support this statement.

Beathard

Premium Member
Traveling Man mentioned other events where comasonry and other Masonic type entities presented lectures or papers. He asked about the hypocrisy of it? I do not know of one Grand Masters Conference or any other approved gathering in Texas that has had a clandestine presentation. Also, does the OES, SR, YR, Shrine, Grotto or Texas Lodge of Research allow PH masons? Do any of the PH appended bodies allow blue lodge members to join? Isn't it the same thing? I believe Texas Law is consistent. That does not mean it shouldn't be changed!

Last edited:

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
And I believe that without pressure from like organizations that Texas would still refuse recognition.

I can assure you that, having been personally involved, your belief is incorrect. The pressure GLoT has faced regarding this issue has been internal, not external.

Traveling Man

Premium Member
I can assure you that, having been personally involved, your belief is incorrect. The pressure GLoT has faced regarding this issue has been internal, not external.

I don't doubt that one bit. However we still wouldn't be where we are without outside influences, it's just too easy to let things stay as they are, is it not?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
"Outside influences" tend to create resistance to change and are, thus, counterproductive.

JohnnyFlotsam

Premium Member
The original document has internal links for additional data on the meeting. Are you asking me cite the non communication statement? It's in the masters obligation.

No. Please support your curious definition of "Masonic Communication".
If you look, I believe that you will find that delivering a paper on this or that Masonic topic does, in no way, qualify as such. The obligation refers to certain things we do in a tyled lodge. Nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.