My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please pray for Masonic values in Florida at their GL today

dfreybur

Premium Member
Brethren,
In Nov 2012 the GM of Florida issued Decision #3 which was a declaration of religious bigotry. Brothers who were members of a list of named religions were declared not Masons and required to resign or be expelled. The edict cited a part of a landmark carefully leaving out other parts of the same landmark. The edict also made bigoted false accusations about the followers of these religions. Needless to say the result was an uproar. I started circulating petitions in both of my jurisdictions to pull recognition if the edict was not withdrawn at the annual GL meeting. Unfortunately my relocation to Texas came shortly after I started and that disrupted my efforts. I've been too busy at work and visiting new lodges and starting to learn new ritual to work on petitions to committees on recognition.

The GL of Florida is in session right now. Today they are voting on legislation to repeal the edict.

Please join me in praying for the wisdom to know that religious bigotry is not a Masonic value that religious tolerance is, for the strength to vote from our values not from their own religious membership, for the beauty of being able to visit lodges in their jurisdiction after they vote.

Indiana has already announced they will pull recognition if the bigotry stands. I pray it will not come to that.

bupton52

Premium Member
Brethren,
In Nov 2012 the GM of Florida issued Decision #3 which was a declaration of religious bigotry. Brothers who were members of a list of named religions were declared not Masons and required to resign or be expelled. The edict cited a part of a landmark carefully leaving out other parts of the same landmark. The edict also made bigoted false accusations about the followers of these religions. Needless to say the result was an uproar. I started circulating petitions in both of my jurisdictions to pull recognition if the edict was not withdrawn at the annual GL meeting. Unfortunately my relocation to Texas came shortly after I started and that disrupted my efforts. I've been too busy at work and visiting new lodges and starting to learn new ritual to work on petitions to committees on recognition.

The GL of Florida is in session right now. Today they are voting on legislation to repeal the edict.

Please join me in praying for the wisdom to know that religious bigotry is not a Masonic value that religious tolerance is, for the strength to vote from our values not from their own religious membership, for the beauty of being able to visit lodges in their jurisdiction after they vote.

Indiana has already announced they will pull recognition if the bigotry stands. I pray it will not come to that.

Do you mind if I repost this in other forums brother?

JJones

I will be watching this to find out the results.

I'm probably a hasty fellow because I'm surprised nobody threatened to withdraw recognition over this sooner.

dfreybur

Premium Member
The monthly mail list for Florida Nov 2013.

http://www.glflamason.org/documents/MM-11-2012.htm

The religious bigotry edict calling out specific faiths.

http://www.glflamason.org/documents...ster's Ruling and Decision No 3 Religion.pdf

Calendar of events for Florida GL.

http://www.glflamason.org/documents...chedule of Events for Grand Communication.pdf

Today until 4:30PM Eastern is their main legislative session. It's now 3:30PM Central so if I get the timezone arithmetic right they have already voted.

chrmc

Just saw on another forum that It was just reported to that the GL of Florida, meeting in annual communication, struck down the GM's Ruling and Decision #3 regarding "incompatible" religions. Haven't verified it, but the source is good, so would trust it.

CharlieB813

I am currently petitioning a FL lodge and was unaware of this . I chose to be a mason BECAUSE of the tolerance and respect for other ppl masonry shows . I for one am glad this has been voted against

Freemason Connect Mobile

dfreybur

Premium Member
I chose to be a mason BECAUSE of the tolerance and respect for other ppl masonry shows .

Yeah, even non-members understand such a simple concept yet it's beyond one man who was a Grand Master up until yesterday. I don't know how many years a GM serves per Florida tradition so I hope it didn't come down to needing to vote him out as well. Just move to PGM status and gradually fade into history as a bad example that no matter how high your status in Masonry it doesn't mean you understand or act on our principles. Thank each and every brother for making such bad examples rare.

David Hill

Once the repeal has been verified, could someone post some sort of official link? I would like to pass this on to other brothers who have been hoping that this decision would be repealed.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Once the repeal has been verified, could someone post some sort of official link? I would like to pass this on to other brothers who have been hoping that this decision would be repealed.

Last year it was June 12th when they posted the results that are still visible on the Florida GL web site. Expect it to take about two weeks based on that one point of historical data. I'll check regularly and post when I see it.

At this point we see the reports that it Decision #3 was repealed but they are second hand so far.

kaveman

I stand with you my brother religious tolerance is one aspect I love about masonry

Freemason Connect Mobile

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
The legislation repealing R&D #3 and allowing the lodges to vote on re-instatement of affected Brothers did pass. No, I do not have a link. I have my Brothers' Word who witnessed it. F&S, Coach N

dfreybur

Premium Member
No luck so far seeing the legislation results directly off the home page. That one is still from last year. So I searched through their open email folder. Bingo.

http://www.glflamason.org/documents/Monthly%20Mail/06-Jun/2013/4%20Summary%20of%20Legislation%202013.pdf

To download the report.

Off the Grand Secretary link on the home page, Monthly Mail in the pull-down. Pick 2013. Pick June. Pick the one with all of the caps.

So we now have confirmation directly from the GL of Florida web site that the religious bigotry edict has been repealed .

"6. Resolution for Revocation of Ruling and Decision No. 3 – The adoption of this Resolution will revoke Ruling and Decision No. 3 issued November 28, 2012, by M ∴ W ∴ Jorge L. Aladro, P.G.M."

Also Aladro is now a PGM and the grand line has advanced so he's up and out. Now we can pray he doesn't move on to cause similar problems in appendent bodies as PGMs often end up in charge there.

Zack

Also Aladro is now a PGM and the grand line has advanced so he's up and out. Now we can pray he doesn't move on to cause similar problems in appendent bodies as PGMs often end up in charge there.

Any other aspersions you care to cast about?