My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poll: Masonic Member Retention

Do they dropout because of:

• No time to dedicate to the fraternity?

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Conflicts of beliefs?

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Family issues?

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Work conflicts?

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Memorization work too demanding?

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Disappointment?

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • Disillusionment as to what they were getting into?

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • Politics?

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Other, please describe.

Votes: 10 15.6%

• Total voters

Traveling Man

Premium Member
I just examined a lot of statistical data regarding Masonic Retention. It appears (without mortality even entering into the picture) our losses stem from demits and suspension for nonpayment of dues, or dropout.
Dropout being classified as those brethren through nonpayment of dues have fashioned their own mechanism of demit. When the mortality tables are included in these data sets it highly suggest that we are past the point of diminishing return.

Last edited:

jwhoff

Premium Member
All on the list and more. Yes, personality conflicts included. Many folks just get tired of folks trying to shove their profane world beliefs down everyone's throats claiming those who don't agree couldn't be good masons. That crowd obviously is unlearned and doesn't have the slightest idea masonry blossomed during the Age of Enlightenment.

Generational differences play a part.

Money also plays a role, whether coming in the form of dues or secondary employment to make ends meet.

JJones

I think 90% of dropouts can be avoided by informing potential candidates at the time of their interviews. Everything in the poll plays a factor, but if we sit down and inform the candidate what masonry stands for, what would be expected of them (timewise, monetarily, and memorywork, as well as finding out why they wish to join and confirming or denying if that's a valid reason.

At that point the candidate should know if he wishes to join or not. If not then they don't join and that's one less figure for retention.

I've seen personality conflicts take their toll as well but I suppose that cant really be helped.

barryguitar

politics. the Grand Masters edict concerning the widows sons, combined with the B.S. with the directors staff has decimated our lodge.

RAY

A lot of drop outs could possibly be avoided by proper investigations and better informed as to what is expected of them. Many who have ideas on what Masons are find out after the fact its not what "they" expected and never take any instructions. Over the years its been proven the percentage of drop outs are not related as to the esoterical work required and reducing the amount of work will not salvage that particular EA.

vanderson78102

I don't know about your lodges, but I've seen a lot of infighting in some lodges. Older brothers just do not want to pass along responsibilities to younger brothers for one reason or another and a rift starts to form. I've seen a lot of good, newer, masons just stop coming to lodge entirely because they get frustrated. I've found myself coming close to that point myself. When even mundane business becomes a battle, brothers just get tired and give up.

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
Agree with most of the brothers so far and I would add that we also do not do a good job informing/reminding brothers that if they need to "drop" for financial or personal reasons that they can request a demit and protect their options. The number of suspensions is up, particularly in the York Rite. I think effective education and mentorship is crucial and we really need to look there for some- not all obviously- of our solutions. IMHO. S&F BroBill

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
Agree with most of the brothers so far and I would add that we also do not do a good job informing/reminding brothers that if they need to "drop" for financial or personal reasons that they can request a demit and protect their options. The number of suspensions is up, particularly in the York Rite. I think effective education and mentorship is crucial and we really need to look there for some- not all obviously- of our solutions. IMHO. S&F BroBill

This is so true Bro. Bill. It wasn't until our last stated meeting that I even knew this was an option. While I am not going to fault anyone in particular in my Lodge there are some small details that I did not learn until I either observed them from someone else or heard about them. There are so many things that the Brothers that have been doing this for years and years do and don't think about that never gets passed along. I understand there will always be things that pop up every now and then that haven't been dealt with for years, but sometimes it is the things like dues that get overlooked and the new Master Masons learn by trial and error.

cog41

Premium Member
I think everything on the list could be a reason. Some in combinations of 2 or 3.

I think it simply varies from lodge to lodge, grand to grand.

I, like many here have read articles, discussions and even parts of books about the decline.

I don't think you can put your finger on one thing and absolutley, positively say that's it!

curt

Premium Member
I have been approached by quite a few young men about Feemasonry and they always reference the Television shows. They all seem to at least want to believe, that Freemasons actually do run the world and that we have the inside track on everything. I have met alot of fellows , who went through the degree's only to quit a few months later. Their usual response is "what a joke". I personally have struggled with staying with the lodge, due in part to infighting about everything from procedure to what we were having for refreshments. I have to admit, I am very tired of it. I believe in Freemasonry and I doubt I will ever leave the lodge, but in my humble opinion, the lodge is as close to dying as it has ever been and if we dont do something to strengthen it, we will have lost a precious piece of history.

I cannot remember the last time, I saw ANY group of masons out in public, performing any acts of charity. I have seen the Knights of Columbus out, every year! I think maybe its time to get our act together Brothers.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
My experience of Freemasonry so far tells me that the root cause of each and every one of the above listed reasons stem from either not doing the Work OR others not doing the Work.

Candidates not doing the Work:
  • Politics? Circumscription/Subduing/Due Bounds/Plumb-Level-Square Development - EA Work
  • No time to dedicate to the fraternity? Time Management / Values Inventory - EA Work
  • Conflicts of beliefs? Values-Morals Inventory - EA Work
  • Family issues? Time Management / Values Inventory - EA Work
  • Work conflicts ? Time Management / Values Inventory - EA Work
Others not doing the Work:
  • Memorization work too demanding? - Misinformed by Brothers
  • Disappointment? - Misinformed by Brothers
  • Disillusionment as to what they were getting into? - Misinformed by Brothers
Either way, the main problem that gets in the way is the Work focus. Few GOOD men stay and participate if told they will be BETTER by joining and then never realize this promise.

The organization is invested in preserving itself, as it should be BUT the majority of the members of Freemason organization have yet to wake up and actually deliver upon that "Good to Better" promise. And, for the record, memorization of anything does not make a good man better. All memorization does is install inventory between the ears. Unapplied inventory Burdens; it doesn't Empower.

Many Good men leave because what is offered holds little value to them. If the activities nurtured them, they would do whatever is necessary to participate.

If you want to attract good men and keep them interested, you have to do more than show them the path. The organization and its members must live it.

$0.02

Bro. Coach N

Last edited:

Steve Cumbie

i think 90% of dropouts can be avoided by informing potential candidates at the time of their interviews. Everything in the poll plays a factor, but if we sit down and inform the candidate what masonry stands for, what would be expected of them (timewise, monetarily, and memorywork, as well as finding out why they wish to join and confirming or denying if that's a valid reason.

At that point the candidate should know if he wishes to join or not. If not then they don't join and that's one less figure for retention.

I've seen personality conflicts take their toll as well but i suppose that cant really be helped.

diddo

dreamer

I think 90% of dropouts can be avoided by informing potential candidates at the time of their interviews. Everything in the poll plays a factor, but if we sit down and inform the candidate what masonry stands for, what would be expected of them (timewise, monetarily, and memorywork, as well as finding out why they wish to join and confirming or denying if that's a valid reason.

I've seen personality conflicts take their toll as well but I suppose that cant really be helped.
I have to agree. It starts here and should end here. No point to add numbers to our fraternity, unless they are committed. Please Obsever the Craft.

Frater Cliff Porter

Premium Member
I think men find that what they studied about and what they found are different. We chronically undervalue Freemasonry, the lodge is then underfunded, and the lodge experience unfulfilling.

We need to treat Masonry as special as it is.

Chalms

In my short time with Masonry I have found one key issue... The Lodge is completely inwardly focused. Whether that is manifested by infighting or political shenanigans, lack of purpose, lack of participation, etc... At the end of the day, most of the folks that bother to show up are just going through the motions. We don't go from good to better by memorizing our Obligation, we go from go to better by living our Obligation, outside the Lodge as we do within it...

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
Work conflicts, i.e. getting relocated or getting put on nights. Life altering events, death in the family, etc. A handful because of personality conflicts and politics in the lodge.

When ever we get a visitor I always tell them to be sure to go to a couple of different lodges, and that they don't have to choose this lodge because they showed up once. Living in a metropolitan area allows for a potential candidate to find a lodge that will met THEIR requirements for Freemasonry, rather than being told, "this is what you get".

S&F,
-Bro Vick