My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potential reasons one might be blackballed

Joe Ellis

https://UniqueFreemason.com
Premium Member
In Wisconsin, if there is a black ball, the Worshipful Master informs the lodge that the brother who cast the black ball has 48 hours to tell him the reason for the black ball. If no one comes forward, the ballot is declared clear. If a reason is given to the Master, it is forwarded to the Grand Master, who determines if the reason is within the rules of the Grand Lodge of Wisconsin. If so, the black ball is upheld, if not, the petition is accepted.

I was so skeptical when I first heard this, that I checked it myself, and there it was, in the Wisconsin Masonic Code, clear as day.

What an excellent way forward Mark. I can see this method being highly desirable in England

Last edited:

MarkR

Premium Member
But here in Minnesota, the penalty for disclosing your ballot, or expressing disagreement with the outcome of a ballot, is "expulsion, and no other."

MarkR

Premium Member
Actually, I pretty strongly disagree with the Wisconsin method, for the reason I gave earlier. If you have knowledge that a person should be disqualified, for reasons you are not free to reveal, you are left with the decision to violate the confidence you hold or allow someone unsuited to become a Mason.

I have on several occasions been retained as an expert witness. In that capacity, I've been allowed to review documents, depositions, videos, audio recordings, etc., with strict instructions from a judge that I was not to reveal anything therein. What if I knew something disqualifying about a petitioner as a result of that professional work? Revealing it would not only be unethical, but would expose me to contempt of court penalties. A secret ballot black ball, with no one knowing who dropped it or why, would not. The same would apply to attorney/client privilege or to physician/patient confidentiality.

Joe Ellis

https://UniqueFreemason.com
Premium Member
Actually, I pretty strongly disagree with the Wisconsin method, for the reason I gave earlier. If you have knowledge that a person should be disqualified, for reasons you are not free to reveal, you are left with the decision to violate the confidence you hold or allow someone unsuited to become a Mason.

I have on several occasions been retained as an expert witness. In that capacity, I've been allowed to review documents, depositions, videos, audio recordings, etc., with strict instructions from a judge that I was not to reveal anything therein. What if I knew something disqualifying about a petitioner as a result of that professional work? Revealing it would not only be unethical, but would expose me to contempt of court penalties. A secret ballot black ball, with no one knowing who dropped it or why, would not. The same would apply to attorney/client privilege or to physician/patient confidentiality.

I still love the Wisconsin method, demonstrates how they have moved forward with the times, but of course, respect your views

dfreybur

Premium Member
In Wisconsin, if there is a black ball, the Worshipful Master informs the lodge that the brother who cast the black ball has 48 hours to tell him the reason for the black ball. If no one comes forward, the ballot is declared clear. If a reason is given to the Master, it is forwarded to the Grand Master, who determines if the reason is within the rules of the Grand Lodge of Wisconsin. If so, the black ball is upheld, if not, the petition is accepted.

I was so skeptical when I first heard this, that I checked it myself, and there it was, in the Wisconsin Masonic Code, clear as day.

In all three of my jurisdictions the secrecy of the ballot is sacrosanct so your vote can not be divulged under any circumstances. This is considered a landmark.

I know that each jurisdiction has its own landmarks but I never considered that this one might be missing from the list of some jurisdictions.

I totally disagree. Not every man is Masonic material. If I consider a petitioner to be unworthy of our Fraternity, I'll drop a blackball on him without a second thought. If I believe him to be a good man but not fit the culture of my Lodge, I'll quietly advise him to petition elsewhere.

I notice a subtle change in topic half way into Bro Bill's post. He would drop a cube on a man not qualified. He would point a man without a cultural fit to another lodge.

When I relocate I attend more than one local lodge and I ask around about lodge cultures. I chose carefully which lodge I affiliate with. When I was about to petition I asked friends I knew to be Masons if the one I was considering would be a good match for me and they agreed it would be.

A candidate will not always have the resources to be able to ask that question and get that advice. Having a member say that Lodge X would be a good cultural fit for me to petition is a service to the candidate and a service to Masonry.

But what of candidates who petition anyways? I think we've all seen brothers take their degrees, learn they aren't a good cultural fit and transfer to another lodge. I know we've all seen brothers take their degrees, learn they aren't a good cultural fit and leave Masonry. Much better to search for a cultural fit up front.

When I first read Bro Bill's statement I leaned back and questioned it. Then I read more carefully and noticed the change of subject.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Bro. Ellis posted "No lodge would blackball you if it is a good lodge, but would rather say that it is best to seek membership at another lodge. Blackballing someone, in my eyes, is not Masonic."

Hence the change of subject. As I read his statement, he would pass an unworthy candidate off on some other Lodge. As I see it, we ALL have the responsibility to guard the West Gate & protect the entire Fraternity, not just our individual Lodges.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I must disagree. I can think of any number of reasons why a Mason might not want a man in his lodge, but be unwilling to reveal those reasons because they wish to protect someone's privacy. There's a reason we have a secret (in most states) ballot.
Absolutely.
It is a Masonic offense to disclose your vote in some jurisdictions. Further, in some jurisdictions the petition cannot be withdrawn and must be ballotted upon.
Same here in Kentucky.
In UGLE, a black ball is indeed unusual. However, to broadly declare it is unmasonic in the US is simply incorrect.
Agreed.
In addition to the Masonic jurisprudence issues I noted above, there are times I may have information because of my profession or my role in the fraternity which I am prohibited from disclosing. To protect the fraternity, which is also my duty, I must cast the negative ballot
Excellent example.

JJones

Out of curiosity, how many black balls are required to reject a candidate in WI?

Needing to justify yourself to anyone for blackballing a candidate sounds terrible and I'm glad we don't have this in Texas.

The Traveling Man

Like it states in the topic, I am wondering if I do petition what are some reasons I might be turned away?

You received some good information from the Brothers who commented so no need for me to go into that. But I was wondering, given that your post was several months ago, what did you decide to do??