Public recognition

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Andymac40330, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Andymac40330

Andymac40330 Premium Member

So before I became a mason I used to hear other masons talk about being able to tell if someone else was a mason or not just by looking at them. They would look at a guy in the mall and say "he's a mason!" Or see someone across a parking lot and say "I don't think that guys a mason" and neither party was wearing anything that screamed mason (hat, shirt, ring, etc.).

Today I met a mason through a third party friend who casually mentioned that I was also a mason to which he replied "well I don't see anything that would give me that impression". My friend knowing I wasn't wearing a ring or anything else said "well he's not wearing anything today" and the guy says "he doesn't have to be" and kind of walks off.

I haven't been instructed (unless I missed it) as to how this could be done? If anyone could clue me in it could eliminate a lot of confusion down the road. If this is a question better asked at lodge or answered through a P. M. then by all means let me know. I'm just a little confused by that whole transaction.

In brotherly love...
    Andy

2. Andymac40330

3. BroBook

BroBook Premium Member

I am not really sure my brother, this is my first time seeing one of your post I think , but when you enter a room you should greet them sincerely and wave, walking upright, but all that being said, it matters not whether others think you were I, p & r, as long as you were!!! WWE, AMEN,SMIB!!!

Warrior1256 likes this.
  4. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

Not knowing how you presented or carried yourself in the Brother's presence, it's impossible to say.

5. Andymac40330

I introduced myself and shook his hand with a grip. But still nothing.

6. Andymac40330

I am always respectful and courteous but not sure if I should act or look for people acting in a different manor?

7. JJones

JJones Moderator Staff Member

In my opinion, it's usually easier to tell who -isn't- a mason that it is to tell who is. Even that only works 70% of the time though, as some masons aren't very...masonic if they don't think any brethren are around.

I wouldn't fret over the brother you mentioned. There are thousands upon thousands of other brethren out there and the majority of them are far more friendly than that.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    Warrior1256 and BroBook like this.
  8. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

Maybe he knew you were in the guard....lol

Glen Cook likes this.
  9. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Men who are or should be Masons comport themselves well. Just enough to stand out in a group but not enough to stick out from the group. A bit more balanced and serene.

BroBook likes this.
  10. Mike Martin

Mike Martin Eternal Apprentice Premium Member

If I was you I would call BS on them.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  11. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Agreed!!!

12. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Exactly!

13. Andymac40330

He was very secretive and according to our mutual friend, always is. He asked me the age of my grandmother, which I was prepared for. Are there any other common sayings that I could use / encounter that I should be aware of? ( once again, feel free to direct me to lodge or PM for direction)

14. ej6267

ej6267 Registered User

I think it's a little thing called Confirmation Bias, that most human tendency to recollect the hits and forget the misses.

Andymac40330 likes this.
  15. Mike Martin

Ask him about his Lodge, ie name, number, when it meets and which Grand Lodge it operates under. That usually sorts the wheat from the chaff, as a pretending Mason will bluff whereas an actual mason will tell you freely.

dfreybur and BroBook like this.
  16. Andymac40330

I tried looking up the lodge that he mentioned and couldn't find it, although I may have forgot the lodge number.

17. BroBook

BroBook Premium Member

That could be the problem he is an impostor!!!

18. Andymac40330

I hope not, but I suppose that could be the case. I've just never encountered someone so private and cryptic about their membership. I don't hide or deny my membership to this great fraternity to anyone.

19. Travelling Man91

Travelling Man91 Registered User

You didn't know we keep everything a secret, even with our own brothers. Lol

20. Mike Martin

That reinforces my opinion that you should call BS on him.

That is exactly how non-Masons imagine we are about our membership.

Warrior1256 and dfreybur like this.

Share My Freemasonry