My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purchasing and wearing your own apron.

Levelhead

Premium Member
Ok we wondered somewhat into this subject in another thread. But my question is:
I live in FL and our lodge provides plain white aprons at the tylers station when attending our tyled lodge.

But i want to get my own apron. Just a simple MM apron that i can bring and wear in my lodge and in my travels.

I was kinda told that it would be frowned upon or laughed at (not literally) if i purchased and wore my own apron.

I know PM's allways have their leather cases with their own personal aprons.

What do you all think about this subject?
Ive attached a picture of the apron i was looking to purchase.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,151

JJones

I don't think there's anything bad about not wanting to wear a lodge old yellow 'lender' aprons. In fact, it's my understanding that you're expected to bring your own apron to lodge in many parts of the world.

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
Having been traveling to a few lodges where they ran out of the loaner aprons, I went to E-Bay and bought myself a plain white leather apron that I carry with me and use when I'm traveling away from my home lodge. At home, I wear my oficer's apron, but everywhere else I wear my white "traveling apron."

It's a plain white leather/Lambtex apron with white grosgrain ribbon trim, no embroidery, and an adjustable belt. (Like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MASONIC-CAN...284?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20e844d004 , in fact, that's the same kind and same vendor I bought mine from.) It's got that "look" that I like... I added a hook & eye snap so that I could neatly turn up the lower left corner when needed, and it's served me well the past few years.

I still have my original lambskin apron and wear it from time to time for very special events, but for the most part it's put away for a certain future rendesvous with destiny.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I've never liked the cloth aprons that lodges supply. They are generally threadbare, often greying with age, and just don't say "Masonic Pride" to me. Of course, I've been an officer almost every year, so I usually have a nice apron waiting for me. But when I travel, and the odd times I haven't been somewhere in the line, I have worn the apron I was presented during my EA.
As for your choice, Warrior, you may want to find one without the blue trim, as some jurisdictions consider that officer/past master trim.
And while we're on the subject of Past Masters; I'd rather have a breast jewel than an apron to signify such an honour. But that's just me.

MarkR

Premium Member
This has been a minor peeve of mine. In most countries, a Master Mason is EXPECTED to have his own apron. The lodges have few, if any, loaner aprons for Master Masons. I wish it would become general practice here in the U.S. for brothers to show a little pride and buy a decent apron to wear to lodge.

I have a Master Mason apron, and a Past Master apron that I own. I also have my Grand Lodge apron, which of course belongs to Grand Lodge and is just "on loan" to me. I've never worn the threadbare, wrinkled cloth aprons from the tyler's station.

Morris

Premium Member
Can anyone provide a link to the blue tube white apron?

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Levelhead

Premium Member
Ok i got emailed the GLOF and they replied with this:

"There is nothing in the Grand Lodge of Florida regulations in reference
to aprons for the Lodge other that funerals and Gold is reserved for
Grand Lodge. Check with your Master to see if the Lodge has adopted a
statement in reference to aprons."

So this means? Its ok? Or theres nothing saying its not or it is? Lol

Rick Carver

Premium Member
It depends on the Lodge and the traditions. I am a member of a Traditional Observance Lodge that has in its bylaws that only plain, unadorned white aprons will be worn by its members. This is so all members appear as equals. We have 2 past Grand Masters, several current GL Line members and nearly everyone is a PM. No one seems to object and were a visitor to come in wearing something else, I doubt anyone would make a scene about it. Personally, I only wear my PM apron to funerals and public events where others will be wearing theirs.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I don't think there's anything bad about not wanting to wear a lodge old yellow 'lender' aprons.

Some traditions are meant to be reversed. With a new generation coming in that tends to be more serious about their expectations I suggest it's time to start changing this tradition by just doing it. Go for it!

Levelhead

Premium Member
I think if anything im more worried about the blue trim.. BUT the all white one is for entered apprentences, as they cant wear any masonic symbols. The blue trim one has a square and compass on it.

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
So this means? Its ok? Or theres nothing saying its not or it is? Lol
Well it means that the fashion of aprons worn at its meetings is at the discretion of your Lodge itself as your Grand Lodge has not issued guidance. It would be time to have a chat with the Master and Secretary to see what their feelings are as you shouldn't try to "pirate" it but get acceptance amongst your peers in the Lodge.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
BUT the all white one is for entered apprentences, as they cant wear any masonic symbols.
Most US jurisdictions use all white for all three degrees. I'm guessing the box outside your lodge room has all white ones, as well.
In English Constitution lodges there is a difference in the aprons depending on the degree, but that's not something I've seen in the States.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Here in Kentucky I was informed that the leather apron that I was issued upon my raising will only be worn by me upon my death. As I was raised only 2 days ago I have not found out whether we are allowed to have our own aprons.

crono782

Premium Member
I would strongly suspect that very few, if any, jurisdictions prohibit owning your own apron, so long as it meets the guidelines pertaining to the apron itself (dimension, color, material, embellishment, etc). I wear my officer apron in Lodge, but intend on getting a separate, personal apron of quality material for traveling (the one I was given is a tad delicate for regular use).

Though you might get some weird looks from others wondering why you'd want anything different than the provided napkin.. err loaner apron.

Either way, it should be simple to find the answer in the local law book.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Companion Joe

Premium Member
This is just personal opinion:

For stated meetings and most degree work in your own lodge, wear what everyone else wears. We are supposed to be meeting on the level. A lodge doesn't need a fashion show or people trying to outdo one another. If you have a nicer apron you want to wear when your lodge confers a MM degree, that' OK. If your lodge has a tradition of PMs wearing different aprons, that's OK, too.

That said, I have a traveling apron that I wear to other lodges for degree work. It is plain white with a S&C and my lodge's name embroidered on the flap. I don't wear it in my lodge, and if I go to another lodge for a stated meeting, I don't wear it.

In the Chapter, I have my DDGHP apron that I wear on official business or for degree work. I don't wear it at all in my own Chapter, and if I go visit another Chapter for a stated meeting just to be visiting, I don't wear it.