My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Put Down Your Phone

JJones

I'll use the calendar on my phone to make note of upcoming events during stated meeting. I've seen brethren stay on them the entire meeting before however, I find this very rude.

Bloke

Premium Member
I have my agenda on my tablet or mobile..... set to silent :) (or airplane mode.. but NOT VIBRATE... having buzzing in a meeting is annoying..)

flttrainer

Premium Member
I'll use the calendar on my phone to make note of upcoming events during stated meeting. I've seen brethren stay on them the entire meeting before however, I find this very rude.

I can understand this. It's when they are sending text messages or checking Facebook that bothers me.

rpbrown

Premium Member
I have my phone on silent when in lodge. However, there are reasons I have to have my phone where I can receive calls and messages. (1) My dad is in poor health and I need to be able to receive any notifications on a change in his condition. (2) I own a business and my phone is for after hours calls. I have never received one during lodge but the possibility is there. (3) I use my calendar to record upcoming events.
Now, if a phone actually rings during a meeting, its a $25.00 fine going to the general fund. If one rings during a degree, also a $25.00 fine but it goes to the candidate, and if, during a degree one goes off during the obligation, $100.00 fine going to the candidate.

Derinique Kendrick

It's great to hear a phone ring during our lodge meetings - the $20.00 fine goes into the charity fund!
Now, if a phone actually rings during a meeting, its a $25.00 fine going to the general fund. If one rings during a degree, also a $25.00 fine but it goes to the candidate, and if, during a degree one goes off during the obligation, $100.00 fine going to the candidate.
Great practices, brothers. This implement should definitely keep down phone usage in lodge. More lodges should definitely adapt this.

CLewey44

I was going to say, I've noticed people pull them out left and right when dates are called out but I just wait or email the Sec later if I can't remember. I guess times are changing. People probably use to pull out a notebook for dates and events but the difference is, you knew what the guy with the notebook was doing but the guy with the phone or tablet could be actually texting or up on FB marking where he's at lol.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Now this is a GREAT idea!