My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question

MarkR

Premium Member
I am not a big fan of the "clever" challenges some people think are appropriate in Masonry. It may be that what you've been told is a legitimate question is only used in your area, or even more particularly only in your Lodge. You will then be embarrassing a true brother unnecessarily because he has no idea what you're talking about. We have modes of recognition we're taught in the degrees. Anything else is wrong.

Bro.Stewart

I was asking because I been told brother be try to make a brother look like a they stupid. But I know everything of my degree. It just don't any brother try me like I want them too

Lodge #3 F&AM

crono782

Premium Member
Like markR said, you've got a good chance you may embarrass someone unnecessarily. You might also have a well informed brother who realizes that challenges like this are often colloquial and could care less about your guessing game making you look bad. Odds are, you'll only get the correct answer in your local area.

My Freemasonry

Mason653

When people ask those things the answers are found in the 3 degrees ritual so if you don't know the ritual it's not trying to embarrass you, nor is it only for certain areas. If you are embarrassed just say I never heard that question. Show dues card and prove you are and the brother asking will inform you where it comes from.

Most (99%) are from the ritual. So I don't see how one will be "embarrassed" if you aren't proficient I can see why. Just went through the degrees and sat on the sidelines and forgot the work. Hell I'd be embarrassed too.

Not trying to sound harsh but soon as I went through the degrees and MMs start asking me things without explaining I caught on. Maybe long form helps out in more ways than one, and being an officer learning the work for those chairs.

Freemason Connect Mobile

BroBook

Premium Member
When people ask those things the answers are found in the 3 degrees ritual so if you don't know the ritual it's not trying to embarrass you, nor is it only for certain areas. If you are embarrassed just say I never heard that question. Show dues card and prove you are and the brother asking will inform you where it comes from.

Most (99%) are from the ritual. So I don't see how one will be "embarrassed" if you aren't proficient I can see why. Just went through the degrees and sat on the sidelines and forgot the work. Hell I'd be embarrassed too.

Not trying to sound harsh but soon as I went through the degrees and MMs start asking me things without explaining I caught on. Maybe long form helps out in more ways than one, and being an officer learning the work for those chairs.

Freemason Connect Mobile

A lot of times brothers are just having fun like real brothers do most are just giving you something to think about and even if you can't answer that question phrased that way there are ways to check mate my favorite "Who are you to ask me such a important question as that" they are never ready to go to the door!!!

My Freemasonry

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
I have to tell you though, after reading the discussion so far the "questions" that you are all referring to CAN be embarrassing to those of us in Jurisdictions that don't use such modes of recognition/questioning.

I work with a lot of Brothers both mainstream, PHA, recognized and not... The questions that you are discussing have embarrassed me on more than one occasion, and I AM a Brother. To me it makes a game out of something that should otherwise be serious. Especially when made a large issue of it.

Maybe it's just me.

MarkR

Premium Member
One that I've heard that is definitely NOT from ritual is "do you have change for fifteen cents?" I now know the answer, but I had no idea what he was talking about at first. Those are the kind of questions I was referring to.

In addition, ritual varies from state to state. On another board, someone was asking about "The Master Mason's Soliloquy." That is not part of Minnesota ritual.

MoonlightMadness357

Premium Member
Bro Book and Bro Stewart I Hope in the near future I can visit your Lodges I am originally from Mobile, Al and will be down there for Mardi Gras what Lodges do you Hail from.