Questions regarding membership.

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Ben Rodriguez, May 8, 2012.

  1. Ben Rodriguez

    Ben Rodriguez Registered User

    Hello brethren,

    It has been a long time since I logged on here, took me at least 3 attempts to recover my password!

    I have a question, I would like to look into dropping my current membership at my mother lodge and switching to a lodge closer to my current place of residence, what is the best way to go about doing so? I don't want to drop out of
    Freemasonry, simply switch lodges.

    Any suggestions will be appreciated.

    Thanks y'all.
  2. LukeD

    LukeD Registered User

    Whatever you do, don't demit from your lodge and then try to join another one that is closer. I would petition for dual membership first, then decide afterwards if you want to stay or leave your mother lodge. I'm sure someone on here will have a more technical and in-depth answer, but that those were my first thoughts.
  3. Bill Lins

    Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

    If we're talking about GLoTX Lodges, you can transfer your membership by way of a Certificate of Good Standing. If the new Lodge for some reason declines to accept you, you will still be a member of your old Lodge.
  4. Ben Rodriguez

    Ben Rodriguez Registered User

    So what is the best way to assure acceptance at the new lodge and what are the fees associated with the membership transfer? Thanks!
  5. BroBill

    BroBill Site Benefactor Site Benefactor

    Request a Certificate of Good Standing from your Secretary at your home lodge. Then petition your new lodge for "Afiliation by Certificate of Good Standing" (I think that's the term).

    You'll have to pay the dues (probably pro-rated) for your new lodge.

    You should visit your prospective new lodge a few times before you petition and get to know the brethren so they'll know who you are when they vote.
    Last edited: May 9, 2012

Share My Freemasonry