My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ran into a Prince Hall Brother today

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
I have a S&C hitch on my truck and today I pulled into a local strip mall. When I got out of the truck, this SUV pulls behind me and this big guy waved me over. My first though was "Crap, hope I didn't cut him off" as the closer I got to the window, the more I noticed he was wearing cammo. He started grinning and told me how much he appreciated my hitch and that he was a Prince Hall Brother stationed in South Korea, I believe. We had a great discussion, considering we held up traffic for a minute or so. It's always a cool thing to run into a Brother!

Michael Hatley

Premium Member
Similar thing happened to me a month or so back - I was coming back to my truck and a fella asked me how long I'd been travelling. I gave him a blank look and he pointed at the S&C on my truck next to the 1st Cav sticker and I said Oh!! Turns out he was a PH Brother who served in a unit just down the road from where I did.

I wish we could get this visitation problem sorted.

Last edited:

SeeKer.mm

Premium Member
I am glad we don't have the visitation problem in CT. I know we used but that was long before I was raised. I couldn't imagine being a part of the same history with a fellow brother and not being allowed to visit with or sit in lodge with him. That must be hard

scialytic

Premium Member
I recently found out about the visitation problem while socializing with Sam P. Cochran before their stated meeting. Washington State doesn't have that issue either. Can a Texas Mason visit a PH Lodge in another state that allows visitation? Or is it a blanket-rule?

Graham
Dallas, Texas
Petitioning Sam P. Cochran #1335

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
I recently found out about the visitation problem while socializing with Sam P. Cochran before their stated meeting. Washington State doesn't have that issue either. Can a Texas Mason visit a PH Lodge in another state that allows visitation? Or is it a blanket-rule?

Graham
Dallas, Texas

That's a good question.

SeeKer.mm

Premium Member

Graham
Dallas, Texas

Hmmmm good one...while traveling we are bound by the laws of the jurisdiction we are in, however, we are also bound by the laws of the jurisdiction in which we reside...that being said, how one handles conflicting rules within jurisdictions kind of creates a need for a Masonic lawyer now doesn't it!? Being a new Master Mason, I am afraid I can not answer this one but the question does bring up a good point...do the Grand Lodge jurisdictional rules in which we are in supercede the rules of the Grand lodge of the state we reside, or vice versa?

Bro. Brad Marrs

Premium Member
do the Grand Lodge jurisdictional rules in which we are in supercede the rules of the Grand lodge of the state we reside, or vice versa?

I think it comes down to fraternal relations, and if a Lodge is not listed in the book of Lodges, Masonic, then we couldn't visit, as it would be clandestine. The Grand Lodge of Texas has complete jurisdictional control over the Lodges we are members of, and therefore us.

Art. 106. Fraternal Relations. The Committee on Fraternal Relations shall examine and report on all matters submitted to it by the Grand Master or this Grand Lodge; on all applications from Grand Jurisdictions to establish fraternal relations; on all charges against other Grand Jurisdictions for the violation of any Masonic principles and landmarks; and shall examine, review and report on all proceedings of other Grand Jurisdictions with which this Grand Lodge is in fraternal relations.

Title 1, Chapter 5 - Jurisdiction and Powers

Art. 15. Clandestine Lodges. This Grand Lodge does not recognize as legal or Masonic any group or body of persons working under any character of charter in the United States granted by any Grand Jurisdiction which has not theretofore applied for and been given recognition by the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Texas, and this Grand Lodge regards as clandestine and un-Masonic, any and all such groups or bodies of persons, not affiliated and autho-rized to work by this Grand Lodge or by such recognized Grand Jurisdiction.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Apparently, even if you are in another jurisdiction, you are first bound to the Laws of the Grand Lodge of Texas first and foremost.

Michael Hatley

Premium Member
I have a very close friend who introduced me to masonry from Australia, he served as a Grand Lodge officer there and is very active. He finds the whole thing inexplicable, and every brother I've talked to outside of the country does as well. I mean, when he comes and visits me he can visit PH and AFAM lodges no problem, but brothers serving within our own military are forbidden to do so with each other. It is just too strange for words in my view.

A good friend of mine from high school, who happens to be black, is in Japan working for a university and not long ago asked me about the craft. I strongly urged him to do it while he was in Japan if he was going to, so that he has the ability to visit both types of lodges when he comes back stateside.

I'd urge the same thing to folks serving in the military, join under the jurisdiction of a grand lodge who doesn't have this hangup, until we get it fixed in Texas.

scialytic

Premium Member
After more research, I am surprised the PH has their own Appendant Bodies. In my ignorance, I assumed it was a Craft Lodge thing. I'm pretty surprised. I guess I'm even more impressed that there are that many people searching for and obtaining Light. As for the controversy: I'll leave that to the Brass.

As a Soldier in the Army, I was stationed in Germany and deployed to Baghdad (with a trip to Babylon after a mission in Karbala...talk about a powerful moment!); it would be great for Soldiers overseas to have the choice between both Lodge types instead of only PH. Judging from the posts, it's clear to me that Brothers are Brothers to you all, regardless. I'm really looking forward to my journey!

Last edited:

scialytic

Premium Member
I also found a site where a Soldier mentioned that in Afghanistan they have a Lodge chartered by the Grand Lodge of Ontario (not PH). Thought it was worth mentioning. Thanks for the insight! Cheers!

towerbuilder7

Premium Member
Good Evening, Brothers, I have read each of the posts, and this particular subject continues to boggle my mind also.......I would ask that Brethren please accept my post as one that I am submitting in the most respectful manner possible........Texas is in a unique situation. The GLoTX Brothers aren't prohibited from visiting MWPHGLoTx PHA Brothers and vice versa because one GL or the other is considered CLANDESTINE, it's more of a "it's not permissible because our Const/By Laws say so", ON BOTH SIDES. THE BIGGER QUESTION IS, WHAT IS THE DELAY? WHAT ARE THE REEEEAL ISSUES IMPEDING PROGRESS? TIME TO CHANGE THE LAWS WHICH INHIBIT THE PROGRESS..........We have come HALFWAY across the bridge, in the establishment of "Mutual Recognition". However, this Mutual Recognition is HOLLOW, as it doesn't come with Intervisitation. This would only enhance the Masonic Education among those who choose to participate, and the Mutual Recognition Compact only satisfied the minimum requirements for the UGLE to acknowledge MWPHGLoTX as Regular and Recognized, and as having Mutual Recognition with the "Mainstream" GLoTx, AF&AM. (Regularity and Recognition being something we already had by virtue of the Original Charter)

The VOTE is the ONLY issue impeding progress on both sides, but the vote is standing in front of a LOAD of other issues----and I'll go ahead and put it out there-----mis-education, racism, fear of the unknown, and PRIDE, to name a few, all of which inhibit the Brotherhood from practicing TRUE Masonry in it's purest form----devoid of any and all prejudice, based on DEMOCRATIC values, and which thrives on FREE speech, FREEDOM of Religion, and Separation of Church and Lodge. The privilege of Intervisitation may not be one which ALL Brothers embrace-----however, it should be a privilege allowed for those of us who CHOOSE to visit and study/learn from one another.

We need to get out of the Time Warp, and in line with the majority of other States that have TRUE Masonic Recognition, and all of the privileges that come along with it................The States that have the least amount of progress are in the SOUTH, and sadly, that's not by coincidence. As a Fifth generation Texan, I'm far from naive about what some of our "Brothers" on both sides truly feel in their hearts about the issue, and will DIE with their vote. Oh, and for those who will NEVER "sit in Lodge with a Man simply because of his race/ethinicity", Lodges should really begin to consider what's more important------Internal Qualifications, or a Dues Check from a Man who will never accept positive change.........if the LIGHT shines in the right way, Men will ALWAYS be drawn toward a Lodge whose LIGHT shines brightly..........just my ten cents..........................Bro. Jones