My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ready to Walk

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
On another forum a Mason posted that after 25 years he was fed up with his Lodge and ready to walk away from Masonry. This struck me because one of the things that Masonry has taught me is how to create change in myself, my community, and my world. I hope that anyone who is fed up with their Lodge will realize that they can create the change they seek. I can do it, you can do it, he could do it, lets all do it! Here is the response that I wrote:

25 years? I felt that way after three! But then I realized that Masonry is only improved by manipulating subtle forces within the Lodge. I began standing up and reading Masonic poems in Lodge, I told the story of the first Masonic Lodge on the moon, Next meeting I will explain how Eratothanes used geometry to accurately measure the earths circumference in 240 B.C.

Lodges only get better when individual Masons improve themselves. Subtle forces within the Lodge respond to magnetism, not electricity. Some people are attracted to what I am doing, the rest sit in confused silence. Like the needle of a compass the attention of my Lodge is slowly finding a new heading. The trick is to observe silence and circumspection while setting out on a new course. Any Mason can do it, but not all believe they can.

Bloke

Premium Member
I've seen lodges die and I've seen other lodges stand on the brink and become revived. (I am in a large city and if I wanted to visit a lodge daily Mon-Sat I could easily, that means there are many opportunities to observe good and bad, beyond what many brethren in regional areas see). It gives you a good insight on what works, how to kill a lodge, and how to build one. Pointwithinacircle seems to have a good grasp on how to improve a lodge.

On another forum a Mason posted that after 25 years he was fed up with his Lodge and ready to walk away from Masonry. This struck me because one of the things that Masonry has taught me is how to create change in myself, my community, and my world. I hope that anyone who is fed up with their Lodge will realize that they can create the change they seek. I can do it, you can do it, he could do it, lets all do it! Here is the response that I wrote:

25 years? I felt that way after three! But then I realized that Masonry is only improved by manipulating subtle forces within the Lodge. I began standing up and reading Masonic poems in Lodge, I told the story of the first Masonic Lodge on the moon, Next meeting I will explain how Eratothanes used geometry to accurately measure the earths circumference in 240 B.C.

Lodges only get better when individual Masons improve themselves. Subtle forces within the Lodge respond to magnetism, not electricity. Some people are attracted to what I am doing, the rest sit in confused silence. Like the needle of a compass the attention of my Lodge is slowly finding a new heading. The trick is to observe silence and circumspection while setting out on a new course. Any Mason can do it, but not all believe they can.

There is so much in the above...i wish this forum had a "extra like " button ! I think you are spot on on slowly setting a new direction through your own changes and slowly and quietly finding a new heading.. using magnetism rather than electricity....

But then I realized that Masonry is only improved by manipulating subtle forces within the Lodge. .
Crucial, you need to nudge a lodge in the right direction, not shock it with a sudden change, slow positive change is the way to do that, it generally happens little by little, but members will generally notice it all at once. One day, their attitude suddenly changes, generally after feeling good for a time about what has been going on, often without them first recognising change is taking place :) Often the best change is those suggested by the members, often after careful leadership to where you want to get them.. You seem to understand this so well..

Lodges only get better when individual Masons improve themselves.
Yep. I 100% agree.

They get even better when brothers help each other to improve. We often talk about Maslow when thinking about how to make a lodge better. We are looking for self actualized men or men who are looking to be self actualized. The best lodges have these... the dynamism between members helping each other to grow is one of the best things I like about a good lodge.

On another forum a Mason posted that after 25 years he was fed up with his Lodge and ready to walk away from Masonry......25 years? ...I felt that way after three!

I call this "masonic fatigue syndrome". So many leaders of lodges get it. People who feel light they are carrying or pulling a big weight. The get burnt out and their exhaustion can be infectious, especially when expressed loudly with angst. You need to remove that burden quick smart and put them in the recovery ward with treatment of encouragement, support and "being happy and communicating happiness with others". You need to realize that change is a marathon and not a sprint... Constant optimism is key.

Pointwithinacircle... I suggest you keep this post and read your post when you are feeling down. I especially suggest you read it and keep it in mind when a Master.. facilitate others to act as you have done...

Bloke

Premium Member
I have seen that harmony in the lodge is the precondition for all else. .

That's true, but also, sometimes you cannot be silent to "preserve harmony" when the lodge is being dragged down by negativity. Negativity sometimes needs to be nudged towards optimism, but if you can't do that, sometimes you do need to disrupt harmony for the good of the lodge by challenging a poor status quo or poor behaviour. The trick is to try to do it with as little disruption as possible. The trick is trying not to make it personal. Focusing on the good and bad behaviours and their outcomes...

I've managed several oppressive, depressive and aggressive members out of a few lodges. It was not always harmonious doing so. One member, I actually said to his face that if he was not happy here, then perhaps it would be best for the lodge and for him if he went elsewhere and found a lodge where he was happy with the activities (doing it his way and his way only). I did it with a sentiment of support for him, but ultimately I would have bounced him out of the party rather then see him kill it. The moment he left, there was a collective sigh of relief... and the lodge was much stronger after...

Building a good lodge is building a diverse and happy social group, sometimes the tree does need pruning to achieve that. Perhaps that may sounds unmasonic to some, but seeing a warrant die because people want to "preserve harmony" is not in the interest of anyone. Yes, some people would rather see a lodge die than change, but if you have EA' FCs, MMs and even PMs looking for a future, sometimes its better to manage a brother out that see the lodge go under...

All that said, I think the OP is on the right track; slow positive and quiet change if you cannot all come together and agree on a new direction overnight. First time in chair, was the 2nd year of a 3 year strategic plan, that only the WM, SW and JW were aware of until year 3. We made huge positive change in that lodge..