My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recognized Lodges

Jon D. Smith

I'm trying to figure out some of the background on why some Lodges are recognized and some are not. My example for this thread would be the Lodges in Singapore. There are a few Lodges there, chartered under the GL of England, Scottland and Ireland. All three of the mentioned GL's are recognized yet, their Lodges in Singppore are not.

http://web.singnet.com.sg/~masonry/eastarch.htm

Has any one looked at this particular example before or, have some insight as to why that might be?

david918

Premium Member
The English,Irish,and Scottish lodges in Singapore are all recognized by the GL of Texas since they are all lodges charted by their mother Grand Lodges which we recognize.All three of those Grand Lodges have lodges chartered all over the world back from the days of the British Empire.

Jon D. Smith

You made me dig back into the book again! Indeed, if you look up GL of Scotland, then look at Lodges outside of Scotland, Singapore is there.
Cool!:D

david918

Premium Member
On the subject of overseas lodges at one time the GL of Texas had a lodge in Panama in the 1850's and a lodge in Germany back in the 1950's.As well as lodges in the Confederate army in different states during the war of northern aggression

Jon D. Smith

On the subject of overseas lodges at one time the GL of Texas had a lodge in Panama in the 1850's and a lodge in Germany back in the 1950's.As well as lodges in the Confederate army in different states during the war of northern aggression

Now that's interesting. It was neat standing in from of the Texas Embassy in London years back. To check out an old Texas lodge overseas would really be something!
Do you have any information on the exact location of those structures? Is there a book you could recommend that covers the subject?

david918

Premium Member
I'm sure there are no buildings left.The lodge in Panama demised after 2 or 3 yrs.It was set up as a kinda of relief lodge to assist brothers traveling to California in the early 1850's.The ones during the war were traveling military lodges and carried their charters with their regiments.The one in Germany was set up on one of the bases there after the war it was always Under Dispensation and never actually received a charter.I found most of the information about Panama and the lodge in Germany from the old proceedings of the GL of Texas as well as the Texas Freemasonry magazine from the 50's.There is a web page I saw with info on Texas Military lodges during the war but I'm not sure what it was ,might try google.

Last edited: