My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruiting

David612

Out of curiosity in your jurisdiction what are you doing to boost inquiry by suitable candidates who may not have found freemasonry on their own?
I know many fall back on the 2b1ask1 idea and was just curious about lodges world wide.

David612

Fair enough, as I'm new to the craft i have been told arguments from both sides and while I'm too new to be of value on the subject I just thought it was interesting as there seem to be camps from both sides.

David612

People cannot join Freemasonry unless they've heard of it. I guess that's where our focus is, making sure people hear about us...
Exactly this, Im guessing the cultural perception between every country is so different hence the differences in jurisdictions and GLs to suit the local climate

CLewey44

In the U.S., I think numbers are inflated. I think it's watered down here. Not sure how most of you feel, but I think 250K-500K would be reasonable vs. over a million now or 4-5M in the 50s and 60s. If you make it desirable they will come. If you present crap, they will not. I've mentioned it to friends that I think would be fine masons and they think it's just a bunch of old men hanging out or selling pancakes, presumably they think in old dilapidated, free standing buildings in some cases. I think less advertising and more mystery will spark interest. It makes it special vs. Rotary or Lions club type organization.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor

CLewey44

Everyone here too is a 32nd degree SR mason. At least AASR members. In the UK and other places, that's actually a very big deal and you are treated with honors from what I understand. Here, you can just show up one day and get it. Never show up again, just pay your dues to your Valley and have no clue what you saw. That reduces the intrigue to me and is why I never joined the AASR. I'm sure it's a fantastic organization but, like BL, seemed a little watered down.

Bloke

Premium Member
To answer two scenarios for your question, I'm not THAT old lol or the other perception, I do sometimes think that because it is the case unfortunately. But that is literally what a friend of mine stated.
I think in your age, you have prima facie evidence his impression is wrong.

David612

I have heard many people online preach about not speaking about masonry at all to the uninitiated, as they have to ask.
Personally I wouldn't imagine an issue with recommending to good men that the fraternatity may be for them but wasn't sure what the consensus on this was

Bloke

Premium Member
I have heard many people online preach about not speaking about masonry at all to the uninitiated, as they have to ask.
Personally I wouldn't imagine an issue with recommending to good men that the fraternatity may be for them but wasn't sure what the consensus on this was
It depends on your local masonic culture - and rules.

Many Constitutions have non-solicitation rules where members are not allowed to ask men to become Freemasons. We have no such rule (but think we once did). Some Constitutions do not allow lodges to advertise. Some places have those rules, yet have a culture of displaying emblems like the square and compass through rings and bumper stickers.

"Not speaking about Masonry" will mean different things to different people. Keeping obligations is obviously very important, but those also vary. They are again also affected by culture. For instance, our obligation says we will not write the secrets, yet we have a ritual book. "Secrets" are written like this;
"That on the L___ was ____ and that on the ____ was _____". If I filled the banks, I would be thinking I broke my obligation. If I don't, then my GL will not have a problem. In some places, a "secret" is what happens at meetings, for me, I will tell you all about how we pass minutes and pay accounts, perform ceremonies, and have discussions. We will have non-freemasons (including women) to our normally dinners, in some places, they just don't do that. I will actually tell you a lot about Freemasonry if you keep asking, but at some point, which will vary, I will say don't compromise your expereince in joining by asking me, just go through it, then ask the questions.... and they will never end. You can't explain an experience, especially Freemasonry, to someone, they need to live it... and Freemasonry is not just the degrees, it's the entire journey of your life.

Many American and American influenced Constitutions (like the Philippines) have the "2B1ask1" (to be one, ask one) culture. I like that, because I like the mystery and often men do some research (indeed even to know what 2b1ask1 means), but here, we'll just ask people if they've heard about us and if so, what they know and if they are interested... but it took me about 5 years to decided to suggest it to a friend when he brought Freemasonry up, because it he was talking rubbish about who we were, and didn't know I was a Bro... so we don't go constantly fishing for applicants to every Tom, Dick and Harry, but I always have my radar open to a good man.

David612

It depends on your local masonic culture - and rules.

Many Constitutions have non-solicitation rules where members are not allowed to ask men to become Freemasons. We have no such rule (but think we once did). Some Constitutions do not allow lodges to advertise. Some places have those rules, yet have a culture of displaying emblems like the square and compass through rings and bumper stickers.

"Not speaking about Masonry" will mean different things to different people. Keeping obligations is obviously very important, but those also vary. They are again also affected by culture. For instance, our obligation says we will not write the secrets, yet we have a ritual book. "Secrets" are written like this;
"That on the L___ was ____ and that on the ____ was _____". If I filled the banks, I would be thinking I broke my obligation. If I don't, then my GL will not have a problem. In some places, a "secret" is what happens at meetings, for me, I will tell you all about how we pass minutes and pay accounts, perform ceremonies, and have discussions. We will have non-freemasons (including women) to our normally dinners, in some places, they just don't do that. I will actually tell you a lot about Freemasonry if you keep asking, but at some point, which will vary, I will say don't compromise your expereince in joining by asking me, just go through it, then ask the questions.... and they will never end. You can't explain an experience, especially Freemasonry, to someone, they need to live it... and Freemasonry is not just the degrees, it's the entire journey of your life.

Many American and American influenced Constitutions (like the Philippines) have the "2B1ask1" (to be one, ask one) culture. I like that, because I like the mystery and often men do some research (indeed even to know what 2b1ask1 means), but here, we'll just ask people if they've heard about us and if so, what they know and if they are interested... but it took me about 5 years to decided to suggest it to a friend when he brought Freemasonry up, because it he was talking rubbish about who we were, and didn't know I was a Bro... so we don't go constantly fishing for applicants to every Tom, Dick and Harry, but I always have my radar open to a good man.
Sounds like we have the same ideas