My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regarding Your Masonic Membership

Do you....

• Conceal your membership/involvement

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Don't hide but don't advertise

Votes: 64 57.1%
  • Tell anyone any chance you get

Votes: 47 42.0%

• Total voters

peace out

Premium Member
Do you typically conceal your membership, just don't advertise, or tell someone when you can? Do your answers change depending on audience? i.e., family vs. coworkers.

Benton

Premium Member
I was just raised tonight ( :D !!!! ) so I now wear a S&C ring, but other than that, I don't advertise. If people ask me where I disappear to every so often, or why I always try to keep my Fourth Thursdays clear, I tell them, and answer questions they have. Although I tend to find most people, around here at least, are too shy to ask once you tell them you're a Freemason. They aren't sure how to respond to it, it seems. :p

It'll be interesting to see how many people ask about my ring now that I can wear it, or if most people choose to ignore it.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
I wear a shirt or hat pretty often and have decals but I try to make my actions the biggest advertisement for the craft.

Sirius

If you know me, you know I am a Mason. I wear my ring and necklace. I'll talk to anyone who has questions. But the depth I go into will vary depending on the questioner and the questions asked.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
Well due to investment money I had to trim the fat and cancel my order for the blinking neon sign. LOL

I don't really advertise it. I don't have a ring yet, but I do have a few pins and a hat or two. I don't hide it if someone asks. I'm more then willing to answer what questions I can.

Jamesb

I try to be a billboard for Masonry. It also helps me remember to live on the straight and narrow.

HKTidwell

Premium Member
I selected "Don't hide but don't advertise", If I'm out with friends watching a movie or generally out and about I will wear a hat. I happen to be very political, and very busy working on my companies so I tend to not wear anything masonic in those circles. Even after hours gatherings that are business related I do not wear anything masonic. Personal choice.

I would say I'm somewhere inbetween "Don't hide but don't advertise" and "Tell anyone any chance you get".

David Duke

Premium Member
...I would say I'm somewhere inbetween "Don't hide but don't advertise" and "Tell anyone any chance you get".

This just about describes me, while Ill wear my ring I am careful that I don't do this at a business or political function. I wear a cap with the S&C on in pretty much all the time when just out and about and will answer any question asked if I can. I am proud to be a Mason and don't mind that everyone knows that I am I just don't want to possibly improperly influence anyone at certain functions.

david918

Premium Member
Have caps,shirts and collect Masonic lapel pins also have Masonic decals and emblems on car.I probably also have a one of a kind Masonic bumper sticker on my car at least in Texas that a brother from Australia sent me it has the square and compass and reads:

Freemasonry
Queensland
2b1 ask 1
www.freemasonsqld.org.au
PH 3229 3533
Don't know if they have received any calls from Texas:)

Benton

Premium Member
Actually, question regarding this: Being so newly raised, are there any particular times when the Grand Lodge prohibits wearing of Masonic items? Rings, hats, shirts, etc? I know people often refrain from wearing them during business deals or interviews, both because of the reflection on the fraternity and possible connotations of trying to 'get ahead' with Masonry, which I know is prohibited.

Are there any other specifics I should know about?

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
I do not know of any laws or customs concerning the wearing of S&C but I am new as well. The only thing in the law book I have seen was about taking off decals when you sale your car. It is up to each Master Mason when they wear it.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
I'm like Rhit, I don't believe there is any law stating when and when not to wear them. But I think as a good personal guide would be to ask yourself, "If where I am is casting a good or bad light on Masonry?" For example, if you are going out for a night of partying, it would probably not shed a good light on Masonry. But say you were going grocery shopping, their wouldn't be an issue. Just remember that when you are wearing the S&C you are representing all of us in Masonry.

Bigmel

Premium Member
Premium Member
I wear Grand Lodge caps, lodge shirts and Masonic lapel pins also have Masonic trailer hitch cover on my truck.. I answer questions if asked. I am proud to be a mason, I will let you know but I do not force my opinions on others. I strive to lead by example.

Ashton Lawson

Premium Member
I wear a ring anytime I leave my home. I usually wear a ballcap with the S&C. My car has the custom license plate "Mason," taillight S&C decals, and a large Gold & Blue S&C Medallion in the center of the trunk. My desk at work has a S&C on it, and I often wear Masonic shirts.

You could say I...advertise.

S.Courtemanche

Premium Member
I have the taillight stickers on my truck, and occasionally wear my ring, I purchased a silver one and it itches like crazy..I now use clear fingernail polish and this helps, I will purchase a gold one sometime next year. So I guess I advertise a bit.

ljlinson1206

Premium Member
Premium Member
The only time I try not to advertise is when I am on duty. Mostly because I don't want to give people the wrong idea when I have to write them a ticket. Other than that I advertise in a big way. Ring, shirts, decals and eventually ink. I am PROUD to be a Mason and more especially a TEXAS MASON.

peace out

Premium Member
As for me, my external manifestations of my internal pride is dynamic. To those who'll listen, I'll talk their ear off about Masonry. But, I am having to find that balance between passion for Masonry and subduing my passions. It's all about balance right?

Masonry is foreign to my extended family and even frowned upon by some. So I quickly gauge open mindedness by stating I joined the Masons. With those that show no reaction, I will change the subject. It is obvious they don't want to know or hear. But others will show interest and want to know what it is all about.

While I want everyone around me to know I am a Mason, I want it whispered from ear to ear. I want my actions and my uprightness of character to be testimony. As George Washington said "My first desire to become a Mason was due to the fact that many of Virginia's noblest sons were members of the fraternity."

I was drawn for the people I saw involved in it, and I want others drawn to it when they look at my record some day.

TexasAggieOfc1273

Being a police officer, I can't really advertise when I'm on duty... though I'm getting some new personalized tags for my personal vehicle that will display it proudly.