My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Religion and the Masonic Lodge

In your opinion are we correct in keeping religion out of the Masonic lodge?

• Yes

Votes: 61 95.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 4.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Very much so, I view alot of today's issues rooted in the loss of spirituality even in religion. Masonry is for the deeping of your spiritual self and will as many times before bring great and brillant minds together on the level to take the next step in advancment for society. It is no coincendence democracy was founded in the minds of Masons.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
screw it, i'm gonna take the other side. we need more argu... i mean discussion.

We definitely need to introduce Christianity to our lodges.

(in good fun, I'm taking the unpopular side of the issue).

Last edited:

owls84

Premium Member
+1, I believe Brother Jones (forgive me if I am wrong) did a thread on this topic. I can't count how many times I have sit in Lodge and the Chaplin or person giving the prayer gave it in Jesus's name. In my opinion the moment that is said it becomes a Christian Prayer. Now don't get me wrong I do not take offense to this personally but I just wonder what if there were a Brother that was Islamic or Jewish. I just think we need to think about some of these little things, I want everyone to feel welcome in my lodge. Sad thing is I know that not everyone would feel welcome, or does for that matter.

jonesvilletexas

Premium Member
Brother Josh, you are correct, in the lodge room we should refrain from using the words in Jesus name for that reason. I being a Chaplain and a Christian have a hard time not using it, but I do respect the feelings of others.

K

Kenneth Hart

Having visited several Lodges in and around Mobile I have heard "in Jesus name we pray" at most every Lodge prayer. Just an observation. I for one believe that my God had several sons. And Jesus had a last supper not a last dinner, hence the meal I eat at end of day is supper and the one mid-day is dinner.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
without religion, masonry would die. you are required to have faith when you join, without a good encouragement to continue it would be a false pretense.

(continuing my devil's advocate attitude, of course)

Wingnut

Premium Member
I respectfuly disagree... I would agree if you changed that sentence to "without SPRITUALITY, masonry would die. you are required to have faith when you join, without a good encouragement to continue it would be a false pretense.

Sirius

Freemasonry has nothing to do with religion, and more to do with spirituality as Wig nut said. In fact Freemasonry is about to shedding of superstition and dogma that binds the minds of men. And as far as being Juedeo Christian, yes many of the allegories come from the bible. However, these truths are not confined to the bible. Freemasonry simply uses a common tale and language to express truth.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
It is very convenient to use stories from a religious text and then insist that the religion behind them are no longer the same.

If I wanted to teach someone religion, and they were obstinate, the first thing I'd do is tell them that I'm not teaching them religion...

((Keep in mind, guys, that since everyone was on the obvious side of this argument, I took the other.))

Wingnut

Premium Member
but are they when the same stories are told in every major religion? Im still fascinated that instead of KST at one time it was The Tower of Babyl!

js4253

Premium Member
Premium Member
We should not discuss religion or politics in Lodge in order to keep Peace and Harmony. People tend to get very passionate about both topics. We should pursue both on our own time. Or, here on this Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.