My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remove that hat!

jonesvilletexas

Premium Member
Should the Master remove his hat when referring to deity, and if so should it be EVERY time? Because there is a time in fact three (3) times it is not and at the same time in all three (3) degrees. Please let me know (You can email me) webmaster@melrose1294.org I will try to introduce a resolution at grand lodge in 2009.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
the only time that i find it acceptable is during this part:

"In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth, and the earth was without form, and void..."

etc.

otherwise, sure, every time.

jonesvilletexas

Premium Member
Brother JTM that is right, but why then and only then, I would really like your input and anyone else; I will add mine after I receive input from others.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
Brother JTM that is right, but why then and only then, I would really like your input and anyone else; I will add mine after I receive input from others.

why not take your hat off then? because you don't have 3 hands. it's an anatomical matter, i would assume :)

HKTidwell

Premium Member
So I have a question on this subject why is it only if you say God and not when you say He/Him? Should it not also be in that reference, considering you should still have that awe even if you do not say "God" you are specifically referencing Him and in written form we do distinguish it. I had this thought the last time I did a Charge.

Last edited:

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
you can't give him the sign and take off your hat, unless you do it before. that would be fine, imo. not only in reverence to the deity, but in recognition of the momentous occasion that is bringing someone to light.

owls84

Premium Member
So I have a question on this subject why is it only if you say God and not when you say He/Him? Should it not also be in that reference, considering you should still have that awe even if you do not say "God" you are specifically referencing Him and in written form we do distinguish it. I had this thought the last time I did a Charge.

I noticed a person do this evertime he said He or Him in a lecture and it was pretty confusing. I understand the purpose and the reason but I felt this was a little much. As for the verse being spoken I agree with JTM as far as it is not practical to the occassion.

To me how we do it now is fine. I think it is to teach a lesson as far as the reverence to God to the candidate and possibly the Lodge. Is it even Law or tradition? Where is it manditory to remove your hat when saying God? (I am not questioning the reason but what would you present to Grand Lodge?)

MGM357

Also it should be removed when refering God as the Grand architect or any other time God is refered.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
My mentor taught me to remove my hat any time referring to Deity in any form so I pull my hat quite often and will as I am taught to pay homage as a creature should to his Creature. (I would have just pulled my hat on Creature! :)

I am pretty sure this is C.O.W.'s call on when to tip the hat in a degree so you will not be brought up on charges for not tipping your hat if you do not feel comfortable or just the ole shoulder is about give out. ;)