My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rune symbols in freemasonry

dfreybur

Premium Member
Ing is a deity name also known as Frey. Having been born as a Frey-burger, it stood out to me when I first studied the rune staves. Ya'll can say Fray. I'll stick with pronouncing it Fry.

Frey being the fertility and trade deity it represents fertility and trade. Frey being the legendary progenitor of the Swedish royal it is also means Swedes.

Also staying with the land as Frey is the patron of farmers. Look carefully at runestaves Ingvi and Jera. They have the same cuts "<>" in different orientations. Jera means the cycle of the year moving forward in time. As the bracket cuts overlap in the Ingvi runestave we can suggest that it means staying in the same place as the cycles move around you. That's the farmer dealing with the elements, the king dealing with rising and failing economic times and a list of other symbols for stability.

Back to farmers and looking at this runestave less symbolically - I see roots, bulb and leaves. It's an onion or rutabagas. When I wrote the word Swedes above it was more than just a name of a people. It was a pun meaning both the people and the root vegetable that kept them healthy. An apple a day may keep the doctor away, but a Swede a day is enough to make that doctor sign up on a dragon ship and flee the district.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Ing is a deity name also known as Frey. Having been born as a Frey-burger, it stood out to me when I first studied the rune staves. Ya'll can say Fray. I'll stick with pronouncing it Fry.

Frey being the fertility and trade deity it represents fertility and trade. Frey being the legendary progenitor of the Swedish royal it is also means Swedes.

Also staying with the land as Frey is the patron of farmers. Look carefully at runestaves Ingvi and Jera. They have the same cuts "<>" in different orientations. Jera means the cycle of the year moving forward in time. As the bracket cuts overlap in the Ingvi runestave we can suggest that it means staying in the same place as the cycles move around you. That's the farmer dealing with the elements, the king dealing with rising and failing economic times and a list of other symbols for stability.

Back to farmers and looking at this runestave less symbolically - I see roots, bulb and leaves. It's an onion or rutabagas. When I wrote the word Swedes above it was more than just a name of a people. It was a pun meaning both the people and the root vegetable that kept them healthy. An apple a day may keep the doctor away, but a Swede a day is enough to make that doctor sign up on a dragon ship and flee the district.
So, like, you're descended from s fertility deity? That is SO much cooler than being descended from a cook!