My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Rite hospital

gnarledrose

I found out about the Scottish Rite hospital in Dallas yesterday.
:14:
First off, congratulations and a big round of applause to every Texas Mason who contributes to that program-- what an ambitious project that you've held onto for so long! Stuff like that makes me want to settle down in Texas after grad school.

Second, I was wondering about tours of said hospital. I know our Shrine hospital in Salt Lake City gives tours to incoming Shriners; does the SR hospital do something similar for initiated classes? I've yet to join SR myself, but I'll gladly put it off until I move to Texas if that's the case! :D Anyway, are there any times set aside for general public tours?
The reason I ask is because my brother and his fiance are living in McKinney right now; he's a little interested in the fraternity, but doesn't know much about it past a little online research and me talking his ear off about it whenever I get back from a good time at lodge (read: EVERY time at lodge!). He's literally just down the street from St. John's lodge #51, but doesn't have any friends or family nearby, except for in-laws, and hasn't had much opportunity to get to know his area.
I hate to sound like a worrywart, but it's just another case of a big brother wanting to share something special with his younger brother. I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
My understanding is this:

Not only can you tour the facility, you can volunteer your time. I know that the hospital is always looking for Brothers to donat a few hours of their personal time to read to, and or visit with the patients currently under care. I think that is a wonderful chance to see our great fraternity "at work".

I for one am very proud to be a cyclic doner / supporter of the Scottish Rite Hospital for Children here in Dallas!

LCWebb

Premium Member
The hospital is an amazing facility to say the very least. I worked on and still have ties to a ranch that is owned by the TSRHC, and still try to volunteer time when I can. The TSRHC is a large reason why I sought a petition for Masonry in the first place. I am currenty only a EA but look forward to SR when the time comes.