My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Rite vs. York Rite

Bro. Kenneth Brown

Premium Member
I am a newly raised MM. I plan on pursuing my masonic travels in the future. What are the difference between SR and YR?

Bro. Brown
P.H.A. F.& A.M.

bigG357

Brother I am in the same position. From what I understand sr is a bit less hands on than yr. YR has more cipher and degree work. SR has a lot of light but from a less hands on cipher degree work stance. I'm joining the shrine first. Then I'm going SR

My Freemasonry HD

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
First, the Scottish Rite was not created in Scotland, nor is it particularly tied to Scotland. This is in contrast to the York Rite, which was not created in York, nor is it particularly tied to York.

I hope this clears things up.

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
I am a newly raised MM. I plan on pursuing my masonic travels in the future. What are the difference between SR and YR?

The two major "lineages" of masonry are the two rites, Scottish and York. Texas masonry follows the York lineage and the Blue Lodge degrees are in fact the first three York Rite degrees. If you take your remaining York Rite degrees, you'll see the same form of degrees that convey "the rest of the story" that you began in your EA, FC, and MM.

The Scottish Rite degrees - coming from a different lineage - are portrayed through a different- beautiful, but different- form. In Texas, the Scottish Rite recognizes the Blue Lodge degrees and accepts them as your first three degrees, but be aware, in some states - Louisiana being one - the Scottish Rite in some valleys also confer the true first three degrees of the Scottish Rite; the first through the 32nd. If you are in Texas and join the Scottish Rite, you pick up the degree work at the 4th degree.

Everyone develops their own preference (York or Scottish) and some do both. Having done both myself, I find myself drawn to the York Rite since it is the completion of the Blue Lodge (EA, FC, MM) "story". Others are drawn to the beauty and form of the Scottish Rite degrees. You may actually find you'll want to try - and therefore join - both to see which you prefer.

S&F
BroBill

Bro. Kenneth Brown

Premium Member
Thank for the info. I wanted to get as much info that I can before deciding on with one (or both) I wanted to continue. Most of the people in my lodge took the SR way but I think I'm leaning towards YR. I am going to wait at least a year before pursuing either.

Bro. Brown
St. Paul Lodge #8

Light Seeker

SR vs. YR..... Where so I start...

I first want to commend you on choosing the wise strategy of waiting that first year before presuing futher degrees. Like my uncle told me after I got raised. "Masonry ain't going nowhere, take your time going through these houses because they will draw out all your zeal when you first start to travel".

I'm not saying this to discourage, but to simply inform you. I am a 32nd, and a Templar (SR & YR). So my personal preference between the two would be York Rite. Although it may have more houses (2 or 3 depending on jurisdiction). It is more my style .. especially Knights Templar. It is a military order and ran as such.. In HOC!!!! Royal Arch follows right along with the building of thw temple so it was easier to follow.

Don't get me wrong I love SR as well, but It is more political and sophisticated. The stories are more elaborate and in detail and take some time to learn....

My two pennies!

My Freemasonry HD

Bhatt

Yeah brother I got raised to MM on the 28th and I was having the same thoughts on which way to travel but I know I have as while before I make any decisions

Sent from my SCH-I535 using My Freemasonry HD mobile app

Bro. Kenneth Brown

Premium Member
Yes I as well will take a whole year to develop in the blue house before going into another masonic house.

Bro. Brown
St. Paul Lodge #8

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
Site Benefactor
Look at it like college: York Rite is a history major, Scottish Rite is a philosophy major, and the Shriners are the Greek frats. :D

EDIT: I waited 2-years before I branched out. I first went to the York Rite (and several of its appendant bodies), Eastern Star, and then the Scottish Rite.