My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Rite

cmoreno85tx

I hope to be joining the Scottish Rite at the end of February and was hoping to get alittle info on the SR. Whats it like?, Enjoy it or not? Any info would be great.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
I would love information regarding the Scottish Rite. I have no idea what to do, how to join, what's involved, etc...:( I really want to pursue it.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
anything specific? it's a really broad topic.

http://www.scottishrite.org/prospectives/aboutsr.html

it's a continuation of the scottish rite blue degrees... we all got the york rite degrees for 1-3, so they are a little different. but it's really a hugeeee topic.

you sit back and watch the degrees and then go to a classroom to learn about them. back and forth. can be done over a weekend or over a few weekends, depending on what kind of reunion they are having.

the food is always good, of course.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
My cousin makes a yearly trip to Guthrie Oklahoma their to the SR temple and they do the degrees over the weekened in full regila you pay 175$ I think and that gets you all the degrees a place to stat in the temple which you can roam at night he says it is off the chain but I have yet to join as blue Lodge takes all my time I want to sacrifice from family.

jonesvilletexas

Premium Member
I went into the Scottish rite in the 80s and also went into the York Rite; I must say that I Like the York Rite better. In the York Rite the degrees are installed on you personal if you don’t chose to go through in one day, which I advise you don’t, you miss so much. Also the York Rite is a continuation of the 3rd degree in the blue lodge. One big difference in the York Rite from the SR, in that you have to profess a belief in Christ, in the SR you do not.

Wingnut

Premium Member
I love the SR! Ive also joined the SR Research Society and the Wisdom, Strength and Beauty Club. They are after all the University of Masonry.

Want More Light? Scottish Rite
Want More Christianity? York Rite
Got a Motorcycle? FreeMasons Riding Club

Want More Lite Beer? Shrine

Curtis Wilson

Here are some videos of each. I'm not a Scottish Rite, but I am a York Rite. I know the SR festivals are held at the SR Temple in Galveston similar to that mentioned in an earlier posting. As a York Rite, I chose it because it is a continuation of the Blue Lodge and the atmosphere feels much like a blue Lodge. I'm also told that the Comandry in Galveston was established in 1834, 1 year before Masonry was in 1835. I haven't seen it, but the Charter is hanging somewhere at the Grand Lodge.

"www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwdP2Cf_knA&feature=related" York Rite
"www.youtube.com/watch?v=saXOjB50y78&feature=related" Scottish Rite

B

Brother Secretary

I got a good piece of advice during my petition process: If you google the right words you can find the exact ritual word by word, step by step. DON'T!!! The degrees will mean more to you if you're seeing them for the 1st time.

My Brothers, the EXACT OPPOSITE is true for the Scottish Rite. The more you know about the degrees before going through the better. The way we do SR in the states (yes, even in Guthrie) you miss a ton. I have the honor of communicating those degrees in Austin that are not exemplified and while also working through the SJ's Master Craftsman Program I can tell you I still have lifetimes to learn.

My suggestion would be to go to your Valley's General Secretary's office, fill out the petition, pay the buck seventy five or whatever, and ask for your copy of "A Bridge to Light" in advance.

Or buy and read "Claussen's Commentaries" or if you're so bold "Morals & Dogma." Though be careful as Pike was classically educated Morals is a difficult read and Pike would never use five words when seventy five would do :)

Wingnut

Premium Member
Brother Secretary, are you on the SR message forum? Im glad you mentioned the Master Craftsman program, I forgot to. I finished mine last month and just waiting to get it presented at the next stated meeting. I enrolled in the program before I was a SR Mason and it got me interested more and more in the SR. I believe it was around the 3rd lesson that I petitioned and went to the reunion. Im now on a degree team and the sound team not to mention the Knights of Saint Andrews. Now to find a subject to do a paper for the Lodge of Research!!!

There is also the College of the Consistory out of Guthrie I need to read up on more. Ive heard it is well worth the time and effort.

G

gortex6

I plan to observe the craft degrees in SR. I hear there are about ten lodges in the New Orleans area that do.

B

Brother Secretary

Wingnut: yes, I post there as austin.thistle as my email for SR business is austin.thistle@gmail.com as I serve as Secretary for the Austin KSA (lovingly called Order of the Thistle in Austin)

Gortex6: look up Klause "Joe" Koeck (pronounced Cook) he is / was Secretary of Germainia # 46 in New Orleans. Just before Katrina I participated in a SR EA there. It was wacky!!! I blew fire on the candidate. Apparently they always as a visiting brother to participate in the "Trial by Fire" segment to reduce liability in case there is more than just singed leg hair.

http://www.germania46.org/scottblue.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

WestTexasMason

Premium Member
I am currently trying to find a one day reunion for the SR. The 2 times a year that we have one in my area I have to work. I was told by the SR office in my area that November 2009 was the next available date. Anyone that could post their Reunion dates here would be very helpful.

G

gortex6

Gortex6: look up Klause "Joe" Koeck (pronounced Cook) he is / was Secretary of Germainia # 46 in New Orleans. Just before Katrina I participated in a SR EA there. It was wacky!!! I blew fire on the candidate. Apparently they always as a visiting brother to participate in the "Trial by Fire" segment to reduce liability in case there is more than just singed leg hair.

http://www.germania46.org/scottblue.htm

I would love to experience this. I hear fire is one of the PPI.

cmoreno85tx

I am currently trying to find a one day reunion for the SR. The 2 times a year that we have one in my area I have to work. I was told by the SR office in my area that November 2009 was the next available date. Anyone that could post their Reunion dates here would be very helpful.

There will be a 1 day Reunion here in San Antonio at the Scottish Rite Cathedral on February 28, 2009. This is when I will be going through.

http://scottishrite.albertpikedemolay.org/

Smokey613

I have submitted my petition and monies for the January 30 & 31 Reunion at the Houston Scottish Rite. Really looking forward to it. It took me 9 months to complete the York Rite as we normally run candidates through a degree or order a month. We normally finish up in October with the annual inspection. Actually participating in the degree work in the York Rite is very rewarding.