My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish

Jonald

Hi, strange question. Do you ever get scottish themed pin badges. I'm an English mason but have scottish heritage and am often in Rutherglen visiting family. Just wanted to know if you did anything like that if you would mind sending me one, if that would be ok of course.
Jon

MaineMason

I have no Scottish Heritage (though I do have English in a serious way) however it bears mentioning that the Grand Lodge of Scotland has played a part in the formation of some Grand Lodges in North America, not to mention that Scottish Anglicans played the decisive role in the formation of what became my church, The Episcopal Church in the United States of America after independence from Britain, with a Scottish Bishop consecrating our first Bishops. I'll stay out of any conversation about the independence of Scotland, however, as it is beyond the scope of this blog. ;)

That being said, my great grandmother (who was born in Stratford-upon-Avon) whom I knew well as she lived a long life, was best friends with a Scottish immigrant who lived down the street in our rural New England town. My great grandmother lost quite a bit of her English accent (though not completely: the New England accent is not too far off) but her Scottish friend never lost her broad brogue. They used to like to play old records of Sir Harry Lauder and to this day I can do a pretty darned good imitation of the songs and stories and a Scottish friend of mine here in Maine and I often sing them with abandon over a "Wee deoch and doris".

Agent orange

I have no Scottish Heritage (though I do have English in a serious way) however it bears mentioning that the Grand Lodge of Scotland has played a part in the formation of some Grand Lodges in North America, not to mention that Scottish Anglicans played the decisive role in the formation of what became my church, The Episcopal Church in the United States of America after independence from Britain, with a Scottish Bishop consecrating our first Bishops. I'll stay out of any conversation about the independence of Scotland, however, as it is beyond the scope of this blog. ;)

That being said, my great grandmother (who was born in Stratford-upon-Avon) whom I knew well as she lived a long life, was best friends with a Scottish immigrant who lived down the street in our rural New England town. My great grandmother lost quite a bit of her English accent (though not completely: the New England accent is not too far off) but her Scottish friend never lost her broad brogue. They used to like to play old records of Sir Harry Lauder and to this day I can do a pretty darned good imitation of the songs and stories and a Scottish friend of mine here in Maine and I often sing them with abandon over a "Wee deoch and doris".
Brother, You are no doubt aware that Scotland rejected independence and democratically decided to stay within the United Kingdom. That topic should now be closed for good.
Most Scots are British first and Scottish second. And yes,I am a proud Scot who loves my Country, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
God Bless America.