Secrecy: What's the Big Deal?

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by KSigMason, May 23, 2013.

1. KSigMason

KSigMason Traveling Templar Site Benefactor

Here is my latest article concerning the opposition to the secret or private nature of Freemasonry:

2. widows son

widows son Premium Member

Thank you for that. A great read.

3. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

I have stopped worrying about apologizing to antis. Thank God for who the antis are - Nuts and lunatics. We are a society with secrets. Look to the character of those who oppose us and wonder what it means. Look to the character of any mason you encounter and wonder what it means. The combined conclusions are simple and leads many to ask for a petition.

4. CStevenson

CStevenson Registered User

There are plenty of sayings which seem to indicate the importance of a man by the number of his enemies. I am not saying that Masonry should strive to increase it's nay-sayers. However, the more an organization puts it self into the betterment of mankind, the more likely it will attract critics. This is a good thing.

5. chrmc

chrmc Registered User

Good article, thanks for that.

I personally believe that one of the sad things with today's masonry is that masons no longer believe we have, or hold the power of secrets. We've spent so long debunking it that we've started believing it ourselves.
    I believe that Masonry do posses secrets in the sense that it is a way to better yourself as a person, reach a higher level of clarity and become closer to your maker. These are powerful things that it will take study, time and understanding to unlock, and it isn't things that should just be freely distributed to the profane.

There was a reason why the ancient mysteries were as powerful as they were, and why the initiates guarded the secrets. We as Mason's have partially lost that and it would only better us if we could reclaim it.

6. crono782

crono782 Premium Member

Well said Brother!

Freemason Connect Mobile

7. crono782

crono782 Premium Member

I sometimes wonder why it is that so many masons are oblivious or willfully ignorant to this fact. There is so much more to masonry than fish fries and charity. Both of those are good things, but I sometimes wonder if some masons think to themselves "why all this degree work and such just to donate to charity and eat chili?"... ;P

Freemason Connect Mobile

8. anthonywilson

anthonywilson Registered User

Great article. Unlike some of the Brethren at my Lodge, I don't fly the flag of Masonry openly, but if someone finds out that I'm a member, I'll gladly sit down and chat with them if they have questions. One of the first things I bring up is that Masonry is subjective not objective, so you'll run into several people (member, non-members, ex-members) that have their own opinions about Masonry (I myself take an extremely lax/liberal position). 2) "Freemason," "Masonry,"Masonic Lodge," etc.; aren't copy written and anyone can rent a space and call themselves a Masonic Lodge and there's nothing we can really do. 3) Scottish Rite, York Rite, O.E.S, Shrine, Grotto and so on are separate organizations that require a potential candidate to be a Master Mason in good standing before joining (or a female relative of a MM, as in the case of OES); not every mason is a member of these specific organizations and the rules, vales, beliefs, teachings, or statements don't reflect me or my values.

9. KSigMason

KSigMason Traveling Templar Site Benefactor

This discussion reminds me of this poem:

Do It Anyway
    Mother Teresa

People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.

What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.

In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.

sudo likes this.
  10. widows son

Article:

" If the teachings of Freemasonry were made available to anyone as a matter of routine, it would indicate to both members and outsiders that we attach only a modest value to them. Instead, we have spent centuries of effort keeping the truths of Masonry secret and passing them down the generations by memory. This should convince us that what we have labored so hard to possess is valuable indeed."

• Hasn't this partially already happened by the availability of our ritual in book stores and online? Duncan's Ritual is a common grab by non masons. I own this book as well, and although its outdated, it still IS the ritual.

11. Roy Vance

Roy Vance Certified Premium Member

Here, I agree with you, Brother. All someone has to do is go to a Masonic Supply website and look at the book section and there it all is. Go to Amazon.com an look for Solomon's *********** an aid to Memory for whatever state and there it all is. I think that if they are going to sell the masonic stuff, especially ritual stuff, they should verify that you are a Mason before selling it to you. That is just my opinion, though.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  12. widows son

"Here, I agree with you, Brother. All someone has to do is go to a Masonic Supply website and look at the book section and there it all is. Go to Amazon.com an look for Solomon's *********** an aid to Memory for whatever state and there it all is. I think that if they are going to sell the masonic stuff, especially ritual stuff, they should verify that you are a Mason before selling it to you. That is just my opinion, though."

• I don't think they can actually make you verify that you're a mason in the bookstore. I think they shouldn't be printing these things for bookstores at all. Our knowledge ad teaching have already been devalued, anymore and they'll be worthless. We've all seen on here what the availability of the ritual can lead to (Skip Sampson)

13. Roy Vance

???????Skip Sampson????

14. Roy Vance

I like this. It makes too much sense not to live by it. May I borrow it? I promise to give credit where credit is due. Also, how are things in Idaho? I have family in the Boise area. I haven't seen them in many years, but they are still there according to my second cousin on my Mother's side. Thanks, and always S & F.

15. jwhoff

jwhoff Premium Member

I can across this one at our last stated meeting. A brother brought it in and said he would install it in the stall for all to see.

He did. I did ... and the rest is history.

:sneaky2:

Share My Freemasonry