My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Secretaries

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
The Worshipful Master may govern the Lodge, but it's the Secretary that runs the show. ;) I know we have some very knowledgable Secretaries on these forums so I would like to ask some questions:

1. Did you go through all the chairs prior to becoming the Lodge Secretary?

2. Now that you are a Secretary, do you feel stuck in that position? From the outside it seems that Secretaries are such an integral part of the Lodge that they aren't moved around often.

3. Whats the hardest part of the job?

I'd appreciate the input.

js4253

Premium Member
Premium Member
Blake I did not go through the chairs before I took the Secretary job in Floresville 515, however, I was working my way through the chairs at Patterson 1177.

I don't feel stuck.

The hardest part is keeping up with address changes. If they are up to date, when the dues cards come in I can send them out with the address labels provided by Grand Lodge, otherwise I have trouble delivering them.

nick1368

I know in my lodge, all of the Secretaries have been PM, this hold's true of our Treasures. I just assmed that was a GL law, but it appears I am wrong.

david918

Premium Member
Yes I went thru the chairs before having my arm twisted:) and taking the office of secretary.I don't feel stuck just kinda of inadequate compared to the brother I replaced.He was secretary for 22yrs and retired so he was able to spend a lot more time on the job than I am.This is my third yr as Secretary and I still find myself going by the old secretaries house at least once a month for help.I agree with bro js4253 keeping up with the current address's of the members is a pain in the rear.

David Broman
PM&Secy El Campo#918
MC Wharton#621

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Yes, I went through the chairs before becoming Secretary. I don't feel "stuck" in the least- I enjoy serving the Craft & feel I'm doing at least a little bit of good for the Lodge. The hardest part is finding time to keep up with all of the minor details & changes Grand Lodge sends us. That's why I'm here after midnight most nights! :)

E

eagle1966

as former sec, i went thru chairs before i took sec chair but I was just working part time ata real job when i took it but found out quickly that the sec chair is a full time positon like other brother have mentioned the keeping track of address changes is the most time consuming
but this time of year when dues cards need to be send out and to collect those dues is a task that if you have not done you have no idea what it takes