My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Semantics

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/semantics

noun, ( used with a singular verb)
Linguistics.
1. the study of meaning.
2. The study of linguistic development by classifying and examiningchanges in meaning and form.
Also called significs. the branch of semiotics dealing with the relationsbetween signs and what they denote.
the meaning, or an interpretation of the meaning, of a word, sign,sentence, etc.:
Let's not argue about semantics.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/semantics

Definition of semantics
  1. 1: the study of meanings:a : the historical and psychological study and the classification of changes in the signification of words or forms viewed as factors in linguistic development b (1) : semiotics (2) : a branch of semiotics dealing with the relations between signs and what they refer to and including theories of denotation, extension, naming, and truth

2. 2: general semantics

3. 3a : the meaning or relationship of meanings of a sign or set of signs; especially : connotative meaningb : the language used (as in advertising or political propaganda) to achieve a desired effect on an audience especially through the use of words with novel or dual meanings

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/semantics

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
I hear all the time people say "Let's not argue about semantics."

Seems like a bad plan to me. As semantics deals with the use and meanings of words. If we are not going to argue or discuss them then I propose the following is true.

Freemasonry is the study of green jello.

If the meanings do not matter then trying to explain what each of the above words means is a pointless exercise. And all and nothing is correct.

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
I also hereby declare

Allegory means alligator murders.
Symbols means the musical instrument which sounds similar.
Peculiar means old people.

And lastly

Any Mason or Masonic body which disagrees with the above is hereby declared clandestine, illegal, and stinky. Please contact me for instructions to dispose of your financial assesses as The Goomba Grand Lodge of Fee Masons declares sovereignty over all Masons world wide except those who don't want to be members.

I say all the above is jest (maybe not even very funny). But it could lead to an interesting discussion. Oh and yes Fee Masons because the Goomba Grand Lodge charges a lot for membership.

LK600

Premium Member
The difficulty I think is that the meaning of words, to include Freemasonry morphs over time, location and cultures. Freemasonry to one person might be shrouded in the mystical arts, and that would be true. For another, it would be simply a role playing club, and that would be true as well. You can't put one definition on something that spans hundreds of years with millions of past and current members. Its impossible and would always be inherently incorrect.

Semantics should be debated, not argued. As men, we should be able to openly and safely express our beliefs and opinions without the threat of ridicule or dismissal.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
I hear all the time people say "Let's not argue about semantics."

Seems like a bad plan to me. As semantics deals with the use and meanings of words. ...
"Let's not argue about semantics" is one of two comments that are strategically used to dismiss the other party's comments within lengthy discourse where the one putting it forth is not listening to understand.

The other is: It's a matter of semantics; we're/you're saying the same thing.

When these two comments are put forth during discourse, it is the one putting them forth that is dismissing the deliberately differing meanings assigned to the words being used by the parties and is doing so to stop a tiresome protracted argument of which they see no end. Their use is a red herring and they sabotage communication and understanding.

I default the use of words to the following:

"If words are not things, or maps are not the actual territory, then, obviously, the only possible link between the objective world and the linguistic world is found in structure, and structure alone." -- Alfred Korzybski​

And I examine the structure and context with great scrutiny. Especially when others are dismissing it.

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
" Their use is a red herring and they sabotage communication and understanding.

To keep the conversation going.

Coach what do you mean when you say red herring?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Just James said:
Now if only we could use the working tools in a moral sense we could test what is true to what
If only we could require members to study the seven liberal arts and sciences

To keep the conversation going.

Coach what do you mean when you say red herring?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I seemingly associated distraction so overpowering that the original train of thought will be lost in utter confusion.