My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shriner... Yay or Neh

ARizo1011

Premium Member
Hello, I am a possible candidate for Lodge #344.

This is Alexis Rizo Jr, I came across a post about Shriners and that in some states you are expelled if you have anything to do with being a Shriner? Maybe someone can expand this in deeper thought? Thank you all for your time.

Sincerely Yours,

Alexis Rizo Jr.

Possible Candidate for Lodge #344

A.Rizo11@yahoo.com

Freemasonry

sands67

Premium Member
Re: Shrine...Yay or Neh

The Shrine is a fine organization. There have been situations where there have been disagreements between the Grand Lodge of certain States and the Shrine Interpretation of its laws which I might add were also made by Masons. At some point there will an effort to make amends. Good men all will realize that these situations should be rectified

Freemason Connect Mobile

ARizo1011

Premium Member

Thank you. I just don't want to run into a problem such as not being accepted into a Lodge due to being a Shriner. My mentor is a Shriner and part of The Order of the Knights Templar so I didn't think that it would be a problem. But I have read forums about being expelled from masonry in certain states? I don't think that's a proper way to deal with a disagreement between men...

Freemasonry

Txmason

What lodge have you petitioned my friend?

Freemason Connect Mobile

Txmason

Super! You will do just fine. Just be yourself and go visit when you can so you can get to know the masons in the lodge. Be honest and be yourself:)

Freemason Connect Mobile

Plustax

Rumor has it that FL is following SC in the issue with GLoArkansas hoopla. I've heard this is going to be a high topic of discussion during Imperial Shrine meet in June.

ARizo1011

Premium Member

Thank you all for your input on this issue it truly is important to me.

Freemasonry

ARizo1011

Premium Member
Yea... I don't think I will become a Shriner ... Strictly because in the long run I don't want any problems with Lodges I will visit around the world.

Freemasonry

Michael Hatley

Premium Member
Keep in mind that as of now you must be a Master Mason before becoming a Shriner. You still have quite a few things to experience and a number of challenges to get through before membership into the Order is even possible. Shriners are respected all over the world, and in some countries more than Freemasonry itself is.

The situation is complex and cannot be easily explained.

This is one of the many reasons we urge potential candidates to not spend a whole lot of time researching Freemasonry on the Internet. It isn't that we are trying to keep secrets from candidates. It is because there are many distractions, bits of information out of context and so forth that is outright confusing.

Take things slow. Focus on building man to man relationships in the lodge you are considering petitioning. Visit them every night they meet and will have you. Learn the men's names there. Give a good firm handshake to them, look them in the eye and don't be afraid to say yes sir and no sir. Offer to help set the table. Focus on those simple things. Quieten your mind about the rest of it if you can. It is the hardest thing to do, but the reason we urge it is because those simple things are what binds us. There is time for the rest later.

Good luck!

ARizo1011

Premium Member
Thank you Michael Hatley. I realize I have much to learn but as of right now there's very little I can do.. I spend most of my time studying knowledge I find on local Lodge websites but that's as far as I can go. I do attend the Masonic dinners and try my best to get to know the members of the Lodge, but sometimes it so hard to get around to everyone for the simple fact that they seem to be speaking on a subject that's important so I don't interrupt. My mentor is a Shriner and also part of the Order of The Knights Templar so I didn't think being a Shriner in the long run would be a "bad idea", but I have read forums on this website about not being recognized as a Freemason in certain states... So I am just curious. I also wanted to k ow the difference between Social Orders if you can please enlighten me in that subject? Thank you for your time!

Sincerely,

Alexis Rizo Jr

Freemasonry

Michael Hatley

Premium Member
These are a whole list of organizations, which are primarily located in the United States - called "appendant bodies". The most famous ones are:

York Rite
Scottish Rite
Shriners
Eastern Star

There are many others, including the Grotto, Lodges of Research and so on and so forth. Most require status as a Master Mason.

York Rite, in very (very) general terms represents the Christian arm of American Freemasonry. That is a terrible over generalization, but it is the group most frequently associated with "Knights Templar".

Scottish Rite, like York Rite, is often called the "University" of Freemasonry. It is where you can become a 32nd and 33rd degree. It focuses on many faiths and philosophies.

The Shrine is more "fraternal" in that they have many social activities, and many of the men who are active there are married folks who involve their better halves in Shrine activities. They are well known for their hospitals and little red cars in parades.

The Eastern Star is a co-ed organization, largely run by the ladies of Freemasons.

These are all really terrible generalizations. Ones that would require clarification and far, far longer explanations to really get to the heart of.

And all of it is based on Blue Lodge, which is the center of it all and the most important by a long, long way.

I would recommend a book "Freemasons for Dummies". As strange as it sounds, I've found that book, which was written by a Freemason who has visited the lodge I was raised at, to be a pretty good overall source. It gives better explanations of some of these "appendant bodies" than I am giving here and may give you a bit of an outlet for your curiosity - which we have all shared in your shoes.

http://www.amazon.com/Freemasons-Du...470551&sr=1-1&keywords=freemasons+for+dummies

If you are accepted into the Fraternity, directly after initiation you will have plenty to keep you busy.

This is going to sound really strange, but the other thing I would suggest studying in your shoes would be cooking. Men at a lodge love a candidate with skills at that, for well and true. This book rocks, and is appropriately named "Low and Slow":

http://www.amazon.com/Low-Slow-Master-Barbecue-Lessons/dp/0762436093