My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So, I think I'll just hang out here...

Illuminatio

Premium Member
For the past year or so I tend to find myself on Reddit. I start on /r/Freemasonry catching up on things there and to be honest, many times I come away more depressed or annoyed than encouraged or enlightened. Once I've caught up on the few new posts there though, it's almost second nature to just start clicking and browsing elsewhere on the site. Before you know it I'm watching "instant karma" videos, videos of things that are "mildly infuriating" and general nonsense like "animals being jerks". There are some good things to be found on Reddit so I'm not trying to completely hate on it here (surely there are a few fans of it on here too), but on the whole, if it isn't the biggest collection of the "vices and superfluities of life," I'm not sure what is.

So that being said, I'm going to make an effort to start hanging out here again instead since the Freemasonry subreddit was the reason I went to the site in the first place. I'm just stating this all "aloud" to try and help keep myself accountable and reduce my time on the site, like a new year's resolution of sorts.

SimonM

Good idea, most of the time spent on general social media like reddit and facebook is wasted.

Matt L

Site Benefactor
I looked at other Masonic sites myself. Then I found this one a few weeks ago. I liked it so much, I donated to it.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Good idea, most of the time spent on general social media like reddit and facebook is wasted.
/r/freemasonry is not that bad.

I have three forums I frequent. This site, the aforementioned /r/freemasonry and another site that some of us have or still do frequent.

As for /r/freemasonry, I've had accounts and deleted accounts there over the course of two years...all having some variation of this user name that I use here. Sometimes I just get fed up with the current state of that sub and other times it can be fun to post in. You just have to be sure not to get caught up in the conversation and talk about things that you shouldn't.

I want to say that the /r/freemasonry sub "used" to verify its members. That was before I started posting there though.

Bloke

Premium Member
For the past year or so I tend to find myself on Reddit. I start on /r/Freemasonry catching up on things there and to be honest, many times I come away more depressed or annoyed than encouraged or enlightened. Once I've caught up on the few new posts there though, it's almost second nature to just start clicking and browsing elsewhere on the site. Before you know it I'm watching "instant karma" videos, videos of things that are "mildly infuriating" and general nonsense like "animals being jerks". There are some good things to be found on Reddit so I'm not trying to completely hate on it here (surely there are a few fans of it on here too), but on the whole, if it isn't the biggest collection of the "vices and superfluities of life," I'm not sure what is.

So that being said, I'm going to make an effort to start hanging out here again instead since the Freemasonry subreddit was the reason I went to the site in the first place. I'm just stating this all "aloud" to try and help keep myself accountable and reduce my time on the site, like a new year's resolution of sorts.

Greetings and welcome from Australia!

I end up reading redit sometimes, but never felt the need to join and reply...

No site is perfect (unless you're a Masonic Serf & Jester, but that's a whole different story ) but despite some recent issues I've stayed here; because of good people and good content

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
This is the only Freemason forum that I frequent. Since finding it a little less that 3 years ago I have been very interactive here and have learned A LOT! Love it here.

grayflannelsuit

Premium Member

Love the avi! Huge Ghost fan here.

Illuminatio

Premium Member
/r/freemasonry is not that bad.

I have three forums I frequent. This site, the aforementioned /r/freemasonry and another site that some of us have or still do frequent.

As for /r/freemasonry, I've had accounts and deleted accounts there over the course of two years...all having some variation of this user name that I use here. Sometimes I just get fed up with the current state of that sub and other times it can be fun to post in. You just have to be sure not to get caught up in the conversation and talk about things that you shouldn't.

I want to say that the /r/freemasonry sub "used" to verify its members. That was before I started posting there though.
Brother_Steve, looking back at my own old posts here and realized that I never caught what that third site you were speaking of was. Granted we're talking over 5 years ago now, but any chance whatever it was is still active and you wouldn't mind sharing?

Winter

Premium Member
Since Shawn necroed this thread I'll chime in. I quit the Reddit r/Freemasonry because of the rampant hypocrisy. In the same discussion talking to potential members the posters, supposedly Freemasons, will also have profanity laced discussions comparing genitalia or other such nonsense. I made a comment that these kinds of discussions probably don't present Freemasonry in the best light, particularly on a social media platform. I got soundly jumped on with both boots in a way that made sure I'll never return to that group. Many of them made it clear that the ribald off color humor in their Lodge's was why they attended.

Edit, it was mostly the Discord where rhe problems were. Which was a group made by the members of the Freemasonry subreddit. r/Freemasonry can have some good discussions.

Last edited:

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Mas
Brother_Steve, looking back at my own old posts here and realized that I never caught what that third site you were speaking of was. Granted we're talking over 5 years ago now, but any chance whatever it was is still active and you wouldn't mind sharing?
Mastermason.com

usar123

I have been on Reddit several times it can be touch and go for info especially when we are talking about Freemasonry info for myself finding this site and reading and replying to threads there shows a sense of accountability just as if we are together in person at a Lodge Meeting !