Speaking of white aprons, does your jurisdiction perform the long or short form apron lecture?

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Mosaic, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Mosaic

Mosaic Registered User

Ive seen it done both ways. Does your jurisdiction call for the long or short form version?

2. goomba

goomba Neo-Antient Site Benefactor

The only one I've ever seen in person and in the ritual book is around 400 words. That makes it longer than the one used in Duncan's Ritual. So this is my roundabout way of saying I don't know if it is long or short form as it's all we got ;).

tldubb likes this.
  3. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

(I have no idea what you are talking about.. might be called "extension of the badge ".... *googles*... yep.. we only have one version of it here.)

4. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

We have a few different apron lectures in my Jurisdictions. they are completely different from each other so there is no long or short form

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

5. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Hmm. Different ones within the same degree ?
    (and thinking on it, we have "The Badge" and then the "Badge Extension" in each degree... so I guess we have more than one in each degree..)...

6. HoldenMonty

HoldenMonty Registered User

I'm still fairly new but the only apron lecture that I have seen is at the end of each degree and in the first they talk about the origins of it for operative masons and then how it's worn for each degree after you receive that degree to make sure you know how to wear it properly.

Keith C and MarkR like this.
  7. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member Site Benefactor

We only have one degree with an apron lecture, the EA.
    And as Rip said, there are many variations but no long-and-short version.

8. Ripcord22A

Apron lecture yes but as the brother above mentioned there is the "how to wear it" instructions as well in all three

9. Ripcord22A

Think back to when u were presented the apron...."more noble then the Eagle...purple of our fraternity may rest on your shoulders...." there's a lot more there then that but it's all I can remember right now

Bloke likes this.
  10. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

I think there are two pieces of ritual being discussed:

1. Instruction , usually by the SW, as to now the apron is to be worn in each degree.
    2.Presentation of the apron in the first degree. I’ve only seen the long form presentation in the US. UGLE typically does s short form, bit may do a long form.

11. goomba

goomba Neo-Antient Site Benefactor

I responded assuming the OP was talking about 2.

12. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member Site Benefactor

As did I.

13. Brother_Steve

Brother_Steve Premium Member

Short form I guess. I've heard New York's version which is longer than ours.

14. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Texas answer - Short form version happens in the 1st degree. Long form version happens in the 3rd degree. Thus both are required. This is one variation on the ritual that I very much like.

California and Illinois answer - Short form must be learned to qualify for the chairs so most brothers prefer it. Long form must be learned for certification as a ritual instructor so a smaller number of brothers prefer it.

Brother_Steve likes this.
  15. Keith C

Keith C Registered User

You will quickly learn that EVERYTHING is different in PA!

Mosaic, HoldenMonty and tldubb like this.
  16. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Great to see you back here Doug !!!!

Brother_Steve likes this.
  17. HoldenMonty

HoldenMonty Registered User

I am gradually learning this. Since I live right on the NY/PA border my Dad and I are going to visit a couple NY lodges to see the difference. It was cool though he went to a NY stated meeting when I ended up going to a wedding and their district deputy was having his visit and the district deputy gave my dad his districts pin.

Ripcord22A likes this.

Share My Freemasonry