State Flag of Louisiana

Discussion in 'The Scottish Rite' started by jwhoff, Feb 9, 2011.

?

What Scottish Rite degree is represented on the Louisiana state flag?

1. 21st Degree: Noachite, or Prussian Knight

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 18th Degree: Knight Rose Croix

23 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. 7th Degree: Provost and Judge

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jwhoff

jwhoff Premium Member

Let's see how well we can do on this one from memory?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  2. Dave in Waco

Dave in Waco Premium Member

I believe it's the 18th having gone back and looked at their flag.

3. barryguitar

barryguitar Registered User

Knight of the Rosy Cross, Order of the Pelican

4. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Administrator Staff Member

Yay I got it right..lol

5. barryguitar

barryguitar Registered User

One addendum to this thread: This symbol is also the clan crest of the Clan Stewart/ Stuart (if you are a dethroned scotts king). I don't know the meaning of this allusion, just pointing it out.

6. jimmy

jimmy Registered User

interesting

7. jwhoff

jwhoff Premium Member

Good show Brother Boyd.

8. Brent Heilman

Brent Heilman Premium Member

I believe it might harken back to the fact that the Royal family provided much of life's requirements to their people. The crest is actually the crest of the Earl of Galloway. The Stewart Clan has no Chief so his is used since he is the closest there is to a Clan Chief. The motto for the Clan is "Virescit vulnere virtus (Courage grows strong at a wound)". Also, the two spellings come from the fact that when Mary. Queen of Scots was the head of the Royal family here second husband provided a strong French influence. The name Stewart was difficult for the French to pronounce due to the spelling so it was changed to Stuart to make it easier on the French. That spelling continued on after her with James IV. The Stewart Clan is also broken down into many different Clans such as Atholl, Galloway, and Ardvolich among many others.

Just an FYI thing.

9. jwhoff

jwhoff Premium Member

Me duth think ye hath spent time in ole Guthrie -shire there Brother Heilman.

Very good post brother, very good post.

10. Brent Heilman

Brent Heilman Premium Member

Some. Not as much as I would like to. I just visit Guthrie but belong to the McAlester Valley. Speaking of Guthrie the Fall Reunion is next weekend.

Actually I got that info when doing research on my family history. My mother is a descendant of the Stewart Clan. She was a Stewart before she was adopted. I have traced some of her family to the beginnings of the Stewart Clan with a smattering of royals here and there, and that includes Robert the Bruce.

Share My Freemasonry