My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State Flag of Louisiana

What Scottish Rite degree is represented on the Louisiana state flag?

• 21st Degree: Noachite, or Prussian Knight

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 18th Degree: Knight Rose Croix

Votes: 23 100.0%
  • 7th Degree: Provost and Judge

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

barryguitar

One addendum to this thread: This symbol is also the clan crest of the Clan Stewart/ Stuart (if you are a dethroned scotts king). I don't know the meaning of this allusion, just pointing it out.

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
I believe it might harken back to the fact that the Royal family provided much of life's requirements to their people. The crest is actually the crest of the Earl of Galloway. The Stewart Clan has no Chief so his is used since he is the closest there is to a Clan Chief. The motto for the Clan is "Virescit vulnere virtus (Courage grows strong at a wound)". Also, the two spellings come from the fact that when Mary. Queen of Scots was the head of the Royal family here second husband provided a strong French influence. The name Stewart was difficult for the French to pronounce due to the spelling so it was changed to Stuart to make it easier on the French. That spelling continued on after her with James IV. The Stewart Clan is also broken down into many different Clans such as Atholl, Galloway, and Ardvolich among many others.

Just an FYI thing.

jwhoff

Premium Member
Me duth think ye hath spent time in ole Guthrie -shire there Brother Heilman.

Very good post brother, very good post.

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
Some. Not as much as I would like to. I just visit Guthrie but belong to the McAlester Valley. Speaking of Guthrie the Fall Reunion is next weekend.

Actually I got that info when doing research on my family history. My mother is a descendant of the Stewart Clan. She was a Stewart before she was adopted. I have traced some of her family to the beginnings of the Stewart Clan with a smattering of royals here and there, and that includes Robert the Bruce.