My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Substantial" Gold Overlay Masonic Ring

C. Banks Barbee

Hey guys, I found something on good old ebay that I thought you should take notice of.

First, my own personal preface. I've been a MM for just over a year, but still haven't invested in a ring. For one, I've never really been a ring person. Second, even though my grandfather was going to get me one as a gift, I could never settle on one that was to my "discriminating" taste. I always centered on the simplicity of the Master's Jewel rings, but also liked these as well.

Other factors that had to be considered was that it had to have a semblance of antiquity. As a general rule, I stray away from things modern. If given a choice I would be word processing right now on my late 50s Olympia SM-3 typewriter. Any ring would also have to look good at reenactments, my most endearing hobby.

Since becoming a MM, my circumstances have changed. I now work for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice and literally brush elbows with petty thieves and solid gold triple title world champion knockout killers. When I'm at work, I don't even take in my wallet-- why would I want to wear in a $250+ ring? Plus, it's not that I'm forgetful, I just have a tendency to lose personal peripheral items, such as zippos, lucky charms, socks in the dryer, etc.

Well, the other day while perusing eBay, I saw this item: NEW SUBSTANTIAL 18 KT GOLD OVERLAY MASONIC RING - SZ 10
I can't exactly say that I'm a believer that jewelry under $20 is fine jewelry, but at 20 bucks I really couldn't pass it up. It looked exactly like what I wanted, at a very affordable price, and at a deal that wouldn't make me cry if it slipped off my finger or decided to go on a vacation under the bed or between the couch cushions. I decided to give it a whirl. Plus also I have a standing policy that when on eBay I buy from people peddling their goods from Texas before other locations, and this guy almost lives in Texas-- Dallas, South Oklahoma to be exact. :tongue_smilie:

In the listing, it says in plain English that it's 18k Gold overlaid on jeweler's brass. It also claims to have a thicker "shell" of plating than other "cheapos", but as I am a historian/ correctional officer, and have no personal means of attesting to these claims. However, I will say that the ring I ordered came in today, just 3 days after ordering it (and with Thanksgiving inbetwixt as well). My first impression was how heavy the sucker is-- definitely hefty. I wouldn't recommend engraving as I can't attest to how thick that plating is.

For what it's worth, it comes with a "Lifetime Guarantee" from the importer. I don't know if that's my lifetime or the owner's kid's county fair goldfish's life, but it looks fancy. At just $20.03 with sales tax and free shipping, I'm not exactly concerned with the validity of a guarantee. Who knows, right?

It's not fine jewelry, but to me it looks like something that might have been ordered by a working class boy, sooty factory worker by day and noble Freemason by night, from the Sears catalog over a century ago, probably using the same techniques and you know what? That's good enough for me.

955a9.jpg

Last edited:

Hippie19950

Premium Member
I am much like you, in that I tend to lose things that are not connected from birth, or re-connected after my birth. I work in a situation where a wring, or metal watch band could result in serious injury or death. I don't wear a ring especially while working because of this, and my watch has a velcro band for fast removal. Now, as for the ring you bought, I like it too. I like some things modern, but prefer a lot of things to be from days gone by. I still shoot black powder every chance I get, but don't do the re-enactments. I like the simpler things in life. Besides, they are much easoer to fix when they break...

Nate C.

I think it is a really good looking ring.

Depending on which unit you are working it, the craft shop can be a source of really nice Masonic accoutrements. Over the years, I have seen some beautiful leather and metalwork coming off the various farms: belt buckles, keyfobs, etc.

C. Banks Barbee

Except that I work third shift, so it's hard for me to got up to the unit during the day just to shoot the breeze with a couple of cons in the craft shop. Plus our shop has some really sporadic hours due to schedule irregularities (however I guarantee if the Old Man wanted something made, that shop would be crankin' 24 hours a day till it got done... )

There is a guy who makes rings up there. Really good looking ones, but I don't like getting things made then having them ask "how's it holding up Boss? Can I fix it? Will you recommend my work?" and it puts me in a pickle because although the work is fine, I don't like talking business infront of other cons while I'm supposed to be doing my 'rat stompin'. Anyway.