My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tablets Question

THemenway

I'm looking for a tablet for my wife. I am not however, looking to spend an arm and leg.
Anyone have experience with the follwing:
Acer Iconia, Kindle Fire, or the new Apple Ipad??

LukeD

I like the IPad. I Had a Toshiba Thrive before and hated it. Im also partial to the iPhone, so the IPad was and easy choice to stick with.

THemenway

I was leaning towards the Fire due to price.
We love our Iphones and the system, but wonder if it is worth all the extra money?

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member
iPad!....lol I guess I am just really partial the iPad and iPhone even though I don't us Mac computers. The downside that I don't like about the iPad is the pricing, but I'm one of those that are hypnotized by Apple.

However, recently I was up at Walmart looking at the tablets they have on display there. Other than not liking the navigation (just cause I'm used to how I use the iPhone and iPad) it really seemed that they ran slower and freeze up a lot. I don't know if this is because so many people are abusing the demo models or what, but I was just really disappointed in the ones that I saw on display.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
I have an iPad, iPad 2, Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Android) and TouchPad. Out of all of those I prefer the Galaxy, but I like to tinker and can put up with it's shortcomings. The iPad 2 is rock solid, fast and there are a ton of apps for it. Airplay and Mirroring work extremely well if you have an Apple TV. The reason I recommended the Fire is the price and amazon support (apps, movies, music). Some people love their tablets, others purchase one and never touch it again. If it turns out you don't like it, put it on craigslist and use that money for something else such as an iPad.

owls84

Premium Member
Personally I love my iPad but I have no other experience with an Android or Amazon based version. The thing I really like is the size. I think it is the perfect size for reading, playing games, surfing the web, or watching shows. The others I worried about them being smaller.

filmgeekben

Despite being a new product I think the Fire is a good bet, especially for the price. My only concern would be the size of the screen which is not as large as an ipad's.
If you or she are even slightly familiar with amazon's digital offerings, it will be a great fit.
Also, the Fire is listed at $250 not$200. Though if you get it you should probably get Amazon Prime for streaming movies and book rentals. Which does cost extra and would put your total cost over $300.

mrpesas

I suspect we will see a HUGE price drop in tablets for the Holiday season. I am holding out for the Asus Transformer. The Kindle Fire is #2 on my list, especially after they "root" it and get full android on it. The only thing about the Kindle is that it is a 7" screen.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
mrpesas:71513 said:
I suspect we will see a HUGE price drop in tablets for the Holiday season. I am holding out for the Asus Transformer. The Kindle Fire is #2 on my list, especially after they "root" it and get full android on it. The only thing about the Kindle is that it is a 7" screen.

The Tegra 3 based Transformer coming out is a beast!

THemenway

Thanks for all of the advice.
I ordered the Acer Iconia Tab, A500.
I received it yesterday and I am amazed how much I love this thing.
My wife is going to flip out when she gets it for Christmas. That is, if I don't wear the thing out before the 25th gets here!!!