My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Teachings of diogenes

iainmason

Here is my second paper based on the teachings of Diogenes.

Fraternally
Iainmason

TEACHINGS OF DIOGENES
(c. 412- c. 323 B.C )
Diogenes was a very playful philosopher who liked to use great wit when challenging the values and beliefs of his fellow citizens in ancient Athens. He lived in great poverty, probably begging and stealing his food, and steadfastly disdained all forms of luxury. It was because of his determination to follow his own dictates and not adhere to the conventions of society that he was given the epithet "dog," from which the name "cynic" is derived.

Lesson No. 2

Light of Honesty

On one bright, clear day, Diogenes was walking up and down the market place, holding a lighted lantern high in front of him and peering around as if searching for something. When people gaped and asked him what he was doing, he replied, "I am looking for an honest man."

In our Masonic Lodges we use several symbols that cast a light to guide us in our endeavours. They are the Great Lights; VOTSL, the Square & Compasses; The Lesser Lights, the sun the moon and the master of the lodge and last but not the least the All Seeing Eye for several purposes one of which is for learning. It is also depicted as the Ancient Egyptian “Eye of Horusâ€, which masonry calls the “All Seeing Eye†with bright rays of light shining forth. It represents the Knowledge gained from God’s teachings laid out in the Volume of the Sacred Law.

We ultimately stand before our brothers in the first degree and receive many lectures on what a Mason should be. We are told that “The distinguishing characteristics of every Free and Accepted Mason are Virtue, Honour and Mercy, the whole of which, tradition informs us, were practiced in an eminent degree by our ancient brethren. It is but the summing up of what has been intimated in this explanation, to say that the tenets or fundamental principles of Ancient Freemasonry are Brotherly Love, Relief and Truthâ€. It is a lot to absorb in such a short time but we have the rest of our lives to figure it out. Most catch on fairly quickly but some are a little slower. So to help out, here are the “Principals for Good Guys†I found on Wiki;

Principles for Good Guys

• Ethical standards apply uniformly to all
• Assist those in need
• Defend those in trouble
• Pursue human rights for all
• Protect the environment
• Use force prudently
• Respect and honor diversity
• Listen to your heart
• Listen to people carefully before giving your opinion
• Fear not evil
• Improve global quality of life
• Be courteous to other souls
• Fear not to harm another in a just cause this is one of those risk things

It’s a pretty tall order but we must try and excel in all things good and great. So the next time you find a man in cynic’s robes holding a lantern up to you and says “I am looking for an honest manâ€, how will you answer? I know I still need to do some work to be able to stand up to the Light of Honesty, but I am trying very hard to get there.