My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Texas Code Book

Plustax

Any update on the code becoming "officially" ok to use in Lodge? I understood there were some updates that needed to be made before GLOT would approve it's use throughout Texas.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I have not heard of anyone submitting legislation this year to allow a cipher book in the building. Very unlikely to pass if it were submitted.

The word "code" is confusing as very many jurisdictions use the word for their book of constitutions and by laws. I have copies of the California Masonic Code and the Illinois Masonic Code that are the constitution and by laws.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Any update on the code becoming "officially" ok to use in Lodge? I understood there were some updates that needed to be made before GLOT would approve it's use throughout Texas.
A year or 2 ago, the Committee on Work agreed to help come up with a cipher book that they would approve as correct & GL could sell. There was no discussion about allowing it or any other book to be used or even possessed in Lodge or on Lodge property. I doubt that such a proposal would ever be approved.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
The word "code" is confusing as very many jurisdictions use the word for their book of constitutions and by laws. I have copies of the California Masonic Code and the Illinois Masonic Code that are the constitution and by laws.
Funny- we call our Constitution and Laws "The Constitution and Laws". Maybe those other jurisdictions should follow suit. ;)

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
A year or 2 ago, the Committee on Work agreed to help come up with a cipher book that they would approve as correct & GL could sell. There was no discussion about allowing it or any other book to be used or even possessed in Lodge or on Lodge property. I doubt that such a proposal would ever be approved.

Not sure where this stands now, but I wouldn't support it. The next step would be allowing it into the Lodge for practice, then deciphered versions would be allowed and eventually the Brethren would be reading work from the book during degrees and meetings.

Bloke

Premium Member
Not sure where this stands now, but I wouldn't support it. The next step would be allowing it into the Lodge for practice, then deciphered versions would be allowed and eventually the Brethren would be reading work from the book during degrees and meetings.
Hi Blake

We have a plan English book with blanks for "secrets". It certainly is used for rehearsals, as the person who runs them, we refer to it when there is a variation in opinion which kills the horrible situation of Past Masters debating "the right way". While they do occasionally appear in lodges, it is very rare and frowned up. Producing them (we've hand them for decades) does not kill the important tradition of delivering work by memory; we know that in memorizing work, it is internalized and our written ritual book will never replace the tradition and strength of memorized work.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
In both my jurisdictions it is not allowed to have one in open lodge, but as Bloke pointed out they are used for rehersals. We give a cypher for each degree to the bro after his degrees. Then after he turns in his MM proficiency in OR he gets a full cipher that covers opening/closing all 3, all 3 degree ceremonies, optional flag salutes, ect ect all in cipher. Yet we still recite the work by memory

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
I wouldn't want it in lodge. This would be dangerous ground to tread. With that being said, It would help to have the one version that floats around that no one speaks it name updated for private home use....lol

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry