My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Fall of Masonry

Bryan Longwell

I'm looking for the research and graphs on the steady decline of Masonry and I know I've seen the graphs and I cant find them. Anyone know where I can get my hands on them.

If there are 2.5 Million mainstream freemasons today and our #s keep dwindling as they have been at what date will masonry hit 0 members etc... please help

Sent from my SM-G965U using My Freemasonry mobile app

Winter

Premium Member
You are assuming the decline in membership will ultimately result in zero membership. It is more likely the decline is a natural progression to a more realistic and sustainable number of Masons after the aberration of the post WWII boom. We keep looking at the numbers up to the 60s as what we should be expecting when realistically our fraternity should be much smaller as we focus on the initiatic rites and developing Masons, not just members. Instead, Grand Lodges continually try to inject new innovations to get back to those unrealistic numbers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

LK600

Premium Member
The lodges to which I belong keep losing EAs, new MMs, and PMs. I think the product on offer is defective.

I disagree. The product is perfect... it's delivery tends to be lacking. The practice and continued study (in my limited experience) has been relegated to 2 - 10 minutes before what many seem to believe is the actual duty... paying of bills, reading minutes, and getting home as quickly as possible.

Elexir

>then the delivery has changed
or:
- the brethren have changed
- the GAOTU is now using a different frequency band
- the Kali Yuga is peaking
- the Aquarian Age is removing the social institutions of the past cycle
- the human race has outgrown existing Masonic formats
- etc

The funny thing is the the older members I know dont see any diffrence in the ritual we use here from when they joined. Some grumble a bit about not being able to smoke indoors but thats another thing.

A lodge I used to visit often hold meetings twice a week to be able to keep up with the initiations, passings and raisings and even so it takes about a year to join.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
The funny thing is the the older members I know dont see any diffrence in the ritual we use here from when they joined. Some grumble a bit about not being able to smoke indoors but thats another thing.

A lodge I used to visit often hold meetings twice a week to be able to keep up with the initiations, passings and raisings and even so it takes about a year to join.
Not sure what counts as “older”, but I’ve been in almost 25 years, and was grand lecturer for my mother jurisdiction. I see no difference.

dfreybur

Premium Member
A comment on the subject line "The Fall of Masonry".

The Winter of Masonry in the US was the 1840s. Plus sa change, plus sa meme chose.

CLewey44

I disagree. The product is perfect... it's delivery tends to be lacking. The practice and continued study (in my limited experience) has been relegated to 2 - 10 minutes before what many seem to believe is the actual duty... paying of bills, reading minutes, and getting home as quickly as possible.
Agreed. I think the product is great too but not sure about the demand. The braided belt, car phones, denim shorts, VCRs, chorded telephones and disposable cameras were all useful, practical and/or great products but the demand is just not there. They've either been replaced by something better in the eye of the consumer (Binge watching Netflix, part-time job, etc) or simply went out of style.