The Fall of Masonry

Discussion in 'Masonic Education' started by Bryan Longwell, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Bryan Longwell

Bryan Longwell Registered User

I'm looking for the research and graphs on the steady decline of Masonry and I know I've seen the graphs and I cant find them. Anyone know where I can get my hands on them.

If there are 2.5 Million mainstream freemasons today and our #s keep dwindling as they have been at what date will masonry hit 0 members etc... please help

Sent from my SM-G965U using My Freemasonry mobile app

2. LK600

LK600 Premium Member

3. Winter

Winter Premium Member

You are assuming the decline in membership will ultimately result in zero membership. It is more likely the decline is a natural progression to a more realistic and sustainable number of Masons after the aberration of the post WWII boom. We keep looking at the numbers up to the 60s as what we should be expecting when realistically our fraternity should be much smaller as we focus on the initiatic rites and developing Masons, not just members. Instead, Grand Lodges continually try to inject new innovations to get back to those unrealistic numbers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

The lodges to which I belong keep losing EAs, new MMs, and PMs. I think the product on offer is defective.

5. jermy Bell

jermy Bell Registered User

I don't think it'll happen, grand lodge loves the money to much.

6. LK600

LK600 Premium Member

I disagree. The product is perfect... it's delivery tends to be lacking. The practice and continued study (in my limited experience) has been relegated to 2 - 10 minutes before what many seem to believe is the actual duty... paying of bills, reading minutes, and getting home as quickly as possible.

Scoops and jermy Bell like this.
  7. JamestheJust

I have been surveying elderly brethren and so far all have said that the ritual was more intense when they were first in Masonry.

8. Winter

Winter Premium Member

The Ritual hasn't changed. So it isn't the product that is defective, rather the delivery is.

Bloke and jermy Bell like this.
  9. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

Using this as an argument also asume that ritual is universal. If the ritual is less intense then the delivery has changed.

LK600 and Glen Cook like this.
  10. JamestheJust

>then the delivery has changed
    or:
    - the brethren have changed
    - the GAOTU is now using a different frequency band
    - the Kali Yuga is peaking
    - the Aquarian Age is removing the social institutions of the past cycle
    - the human race has outgrown existing Masonic formats
    - etc

11. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

The funny thing is the the older members I know dont see any diffrence in the ritual we use here from when they joined. Some grumble a bit about not being able to smoke indoors but thats another thing.

A lodge I used to visit often hold meetings twice a week to be able to keep up with the initiations, passings and raisings and even so it takes about a year to join.

12. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Not sure what counts as “older”, but I’ve been in almost 25 years, and was grand lecturer for my mother jurisdiction. I see no difference.

13. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

A comment on the subject line "The Fall of Masonry".

The Winter of Masonry in the US was the 1840s. Plus sa change, plus sa meme chose.

14. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

Agreed. I think the product is great too but not sure about the demand. The braided belt, car phones, denim shorts, VCRs, chorded telephones and disposable cameras were all useful, practical and/or great products but the demand is just not there. They've either been replaced by something better in the eye of the consumer (Binge watching Netflix, part-time job, etc) or simply went out of style.

15. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Our Ritual seems to change every meeting :D

16. Winter

Winter Premium Member

I know what you mean. LoL. It seems a lot of jurisdictions have placed less emphasis on memorization.

Bloke likes this.
  17. Zack

Zack Registered User

Pride. Loss of pride.

Share My Freemasonry