My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Movable and Immovable Jewels

Rinesh Hegde

The EA Tracing board talks about Movable and Immovable Jewels.

Now in the Grand Lodge of India as well as in the United Grand Lodge of England, Grand Lodge of Scotland, Grand Lodge of Ireland, and Grand Lodges in Australia the movable jewels are the Square, the Level and the Plumb Rule whereas the immovable jewels are the Tracing Board, the Rough and Perfect Ashlars (based on the ritual charges gathered from these lodges)

The reasons for the same are:
  • The movable jewels are called movable because they are worn by the Master and his Wardens and transferable to their successors on the night of Installation.
  • The immovable jewels called immovable because they lie open and immovable in the Lodge for the Brethren to moralise upon.
While reading the book Freemasonry by Giles Morgan, I found that in US (or at least in some parts of US) the lodges have interchanged the jewels. So the movable jewels are the Tracing board, the Rough and Perfect Ashlars whereas the immovable jewels are the Square, the Level, and the Plumb Rule.

May I know what are/might be the reasons for such an interchange?

hanzosbm

Premium Member
The EA Tracing board talks about Movable and Immovable Jewels.

Now in the Grand Lodge of India as well as in the United Grand Lodge of England, Grand Lodge of Scotland, Grand Lodge of Ireland, and Grand Lodges in Australia the movable jewels are the Square, the Level and the Plumb Rule whereas the immovable jewels are the Tracing Board, the Rough and Perfect Ashlars (based on the ritual charges gathered from these lodges)

The reasons for the same are:
  • The movable jewels are called movable because they are worn by the Master and his Wardens and transferable to their successors on the night of Installation.
  • The immovable jewels called immovable because they lie open and immovable in the Lodge for the Brethren to moralise upon.
While reading the book Freemasonry by Giles Morgan, I found that in US (or at least in some parts of US) the lodges have interchanged the jewels. So the movable jewels are the Tracing board, the Rough and Perfect Ashlars whereas the immovable jewels are the Square, the Level, and the Plumb Rule.

May I know what are/might be the reasons for such an interchange?

The reasons (at least in California) are only given for the jewels of the officers, and they are termed immovable because the 3 principle officers remain at their stations. The movable aren't really given an explanation, but if I might suggest a reason, those three jewels are all instruments of change. The TB is supposed to be changed and the rough ashlar is supposed to be worked to the perfect ashlar. These 3 show a transitory nature.

Just a thought.

MarkR

Premium Member
In the US, the square, level, and plumb are considered immovable, because they stay in the east, west, and south, regardless of who occupies the chairs. The people move, the jewels don't.

The ashlars and tracing board are movable, because there is no particular specified place in the lodge room for them. Yes, the rough ashlar is usually northeast, and the perfect ashlar southeast, but that's just a general location, not a rule.

Rinesh Hegde

This is what I received from another forum, adding it here for the benefit of all brethren:

Immovable Jewels:
You must have a WM, Sr Warden, and Jr Warden at all times in an opened lodge and they represent Wisdom, Strength, and Beauty; so they are immovable. We don’t think about the person holding the position but rather the position/station itself. Think about this: If are doing a degree and the installed WM (or Warden) is not up to doing the part then does that mean you can’t do the degree? No, another qualified Brother can step in and temporarily assume that station. The Station did not change it just was. But the man sitting in that station can change.

Movable Jewels
The ashlars: we are constantly striving to reach the Perfect Ashlar which is not attainable until after death. So the process of MOVING from the Rough Ashlar to the Perfect Ashlar is a never-ending process; hence moving/changing constantly.
Now the Trestle Board: The trestle board represents the Volume of Sacred Law that each Brother uses to align and keep his life on track and according to plan. But my Trestle Board may not be the same Trestle Board that you follow and means something to you. So therefore they are changeable or movable.

By Bro. David Howard