My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Perseid meteor shower

Sirius

The Perseid meteor shower has been observed for about 2000 years, with the earliest information on this meteor shower coming from the Far East.

The shower is visible from mid-July each year, with the peak in activity being between August 9 and 14, depending on the particular location of the stream. During the peak, the rate of meteors reaches 60 or more per hour. They can be seen all across the sky, but because of the path of Swift-Tuttle's orbit, Perseids are primarily visible in the northern hemisphere. As with all meteor showers, the rate is greatest in the pre-dawn hours, since the side of the Earth nearest to turning into the sun scoops up more meteors as the Earth moves through space. In 2009 the peak zenithal hourly rate will be about 120, but fainter meteors will be washed out by a waning gibbous moon.

NASA - The 2009 Perseid Meteor Shower

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Sat outside last night for a bit and saw a few meteors. Ahh what beautiful skies we see out here in the boonies!

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
i'm gonna go outside in a bit and watch the meteors while i smoke my hookah.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Gonna check it out tonight, always makes me feel good with God when I star gaze!

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
Stargazing... Some of the best nights of my life were spent in Kirkuk, Iraq, laying on the hood of a HMMV staring at the stars.

Nothing brings a man closer to GOD than basking in one's insignifigance.