My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The practice of circumambulation

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
I found this one the web and wanted to share it with ya'll

Circumambulation means to walk around some central point or object. In Masonry, the act is performed in a clockwise manner, patterned after the movement of the sun as it is seen from the earth, moving from East to West, by way of the South. The candidate’s journey around the Altar also enables the brethren to observe that he is properly prepared. Circumambulation is an ancient practice found all over the world. Much the same idea as the labyrinth, it portrays the path of initiation as that of a journey. In another sense, it symbolically aligns one to a proper relationship with the order of the universe. There are references to circuitous routes in Psalms 26:6 and Job 22:14. And one may remember the action at Jericho.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
i like that. makes sense with the EA, FC, and MM. movement of the sun as it is seen from the east to west.

many many many meanings there, then.

Sirius

The Rite of Circumambulation is one of the oldest part of the Mysteries. A student of Masonry would be well served by spending some time studying this ancient rite.

owls84

Premium Member
I believe it was you Brother Sonny that told me this the night we solved all the worlds problems. Since I have shared this with many and each time they are facinated.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Thus, this rite of circumambulation has the respectability of antiquity, and means far, far more than it appears; it is not done to "give time" for a passage from Scripture nor to "take time" because there is nothing else to do. It is a reminder to Freemasons that God can best be worshipped by humble imitation of those virtues He has let us see are Godlike; that as Freemasons we walk always in the light of His word, and the shadow of His presence, and that Freemasonry, instead of being, as the historian of written fact insists she must be, but a few hundred years old, reaches across the crushing years afar off, and makes her own the earliest wisdom of the first men who picked one of His marvels to be their Deity.

“FOREIGN COUNTRIES”

A Gateway to the Interpretation and Development of Certain Symbols of Freemasonry

CARL H. CLAUDY'S

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
I believe it was you Brother Sonny that told me this the night we solved all the worlds problems. Since I have shared this with many and each time they are facinated.

do tell, do tell? all the world's problems?

Sirius

do tell, do tell? all the world's problems?

We stayed up late one night visiting and 'solved all the worlds problems'. Plus I shared a few things I knew as a PM with a new MM. :)

A really good place to start the study of this Rite is Bro Jewel Lightfoot, PGM. Then Manly Hall. Then AE Waite. In that order.

owls84

Premium Member
It was a very enlightening experience to visit with Brother Sonny. It really helped me scratch the surface and realize NOTHING in Masonry is what it seems. Usually if you research it there is another meaning to the craft. It has really inspired me to learn more.