The Society for Masonic Research

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by brothermongelli, Dec 15, 2012.

1. brothermongelli

brothermongelli Registered User

It is with pleasure that I announce The Society for Masonic Scholarship (SMS).

SMS, through its Grants-in-Aid-of-Research (GIAR) Program will fund worthy applications in support of Masonic research, to defray associated expenses.

Presently, the application packet and guidelines are being prepared and the Awards Committee is being assembled. 2013's Grant Fund has been seeded by a Brother Mason, wishing anonymity, with a generous contribution of $1,000.

http://www.societyformasonicscholarship.org/

2. widows son

widows son Premium Member

How does one participate in this?

3. Godfrey Daniel

Godfrey Daniel Registered User

I'm gettin' a hankerin' for some research.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  4. David Hill

David Hill Registered User

That's a great idea. Hopefully this will encourage more Masonic research!

5. brothermongelli

All are encouraged to apply; the proposed research will be judged on its own merits, e.g., it will not matter if the applicant has been published before. Applications will be available online on or about March 1, 2013. I know that when I was doing research in vertebrate paleontology, some of it would not have been possible without a grant to travel to a couple of museums to examine their holdings...so I began thinking that Masonic researchers might be hampered by similar financial considerations. Additionally, the applicant need not be a Mason - again, so long as the work deals with a Masonic topic, and is deemed to be important and fresh.

6. Godfrey Daniel

Call me a cynic.

7. brothermongelli

If it permits even one well-researched and important paper to be published that might have otherwise been hindered, I consider it a success.

8. THurse

THurse Premium Member

I find this very encouraging, with a'lot of
    initiative.

9. Godfrey Daniel

"Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't."
    - Pete Seeger

10. brothermongelli

Beyond the basics (name, address, etc.), short CV/resume, a write-up of the proposed research, emphasizing what about it is new and/or important, the amount sought, detailed line-item budget of anticipated expenses, etc.

Also, the research must culminate in a published work, and that work cannot be included in any volume that generates profit for the researcher, e.g., it cannot be in a book that the researcher is writing for sale.

11. chrmc

chrmc Registered User

This seems like both a good initiative and reasonable requirements. Hope you guys have success with it and it ends up in some publications.

12. brothermongelli

Thank you Brother. I must here also say that a resume/CV need not be packed with Masonic accomplishments. The chief factor in consideration will be if the work is original and important; also, for an awardee to receive subsequent grants in the future, the work published must comport to the proposed research per the application. If the two are markedly different...well...!

Share My Freemasonry