My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The United Grand Lodge of England and The Rosicrucian Society of England

Bro CN

What is the relationship between the United Grand Lodge of England and The Rosicrucian Society of England (Societas Rosicruciana in Anglia) and Freemasonry in general and Rosicrucianism?

Elexir

What is the relationship between the United Grand Lodge of England and The Rosicrucian Society of England (Societas Rosicruciana in Anglia) and Freemasonry in general and Rosicrucianism?

Their relationship to most of the masonic world is basicly that you can join if your GL is in amity with UGLE, no more no less.
As to their relationship with other rosocrucian orders they are considerd fine, members of the society spawned diffrent esoteric orders.

Elexir

Is there any relatioship between Freemasonry and Rosicrucianism?

A brother said it best "Freemasonry is a best of collection of diffrent esoteric teachings".

There are elements of rosocrucian,hermetic, theosopic (Böhme and not Blavatsky), religion, historical events etc. in Freemasonry and the elements are mixed around depending on wich ritual is being used. Freemasonry in itself is not just hermetic or rosocrucian but is rather a mixture.

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
In common with other Appendant Orders or bodies there is no actual "relationship" between them other than Freemasons under the UGLE are not prevented from joining them.

SocRos as it is known is not actually a Masonic organisation, it also should not be confused with the Rosicrucian Order (AMORC). SocRos quite openly declares that it is not Masonic in nature and its only link is that its Founders were Freemasons and only Master Masons who have an interest in it may be invited to join.

You can find info on its website here: https://www.sria.uk.com/home/

CLewey44

In common with other Appendant Orders or bodies there is no actual "relationship" between them other than Freemasons under the UGLE are not prevented from joining them.

SocRos as it is known is not actually a Masonic organisation, it also should not be confused with the Rosicrucian Order (AMORC). SocRos quite openly declares that it is not Masonic in nature and its only link is that its Founders were Freemasons and only Master Masons who have an interest in it may be invited to join.

You said 'invited to join'. I was under the impression SRIA you didn't need invite, unlike SRICF where you do need an invite.

Elexir

No invitation is needed to join SRIA. You can actully apply to join. You just have to be a trinitarian MM that belongs to a GL in amity with UGLE.

Center

When I visited the UGLE while speaking with a clerk in the museum about history, she named an appendant connection with Societas Rosicruciana in Anglia and you can see a fantastic copy of the Fama in the entrance. There are a pletora of rosicrucians associations, some if not most of them as far as i can infer have a no direct link with freemasonry, but sometimes ideal well according to my polite guess. Rosicrucianism may imply a Christian belonging, although historically rosicrucianism could have been possibly syncretic in its sources of ispiration due to the kairos of his german manifestation united with the strong imprinting if the famos circle of Tubinga.

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
You are correct and Soc Ros as it's known is also not Masonic but it is only open to Master Masons to join. This is a difference often lost on non~Masons, even when they work in Freemasons' Hall, London.

Winter

Premium Member
Two points:

commuting back and forth to the UK takes a fair amount of effort.

Why would you not consider the SRICF in the US?

I was curious so I perused both sites, SRIA and SRICF. I can see the appeal of the SRIA over the SRICF. The SRIA seems very Hermetic in its aim and teachings and states it is open to all Masons interested. While the SRICF is very upfront that it is only for Christians. Also, the SRIA gives instructions on how to begin the process of joining while the SRICF says it is by invitation only. And if I've learned anything, asking to join an invitation only body is a good way to make sure you don't get to join. If we had SRIA here in the states I'd probably join.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Winter

Premium Member
No invitation is needed to join SRIA. You can actully apply to join. You just have to be a trinitarian MM that belongs to a GL in amity with UGLE.
You say Tinitarian. So you do still need to be Christian for SRIA? I missed that on the site.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
You say Tinitarian. So you do still need to be Christian for SRIA? I missed that on the site.

That is my understanding.

On your prior point, my experience is that most invitational orders do not object to expressions of interest.

Elexir

The page seems to have changed from my last visit on it.
It said trinitarian then.
But my comment was made in 2019 wich is forever in internet time so it might have changed.
Actully trunitarianism is more specific then just saying that you need to be christian.