My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Violence Inherent in Religious Fundamentalism

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
...but if you look hard enough it is still there.

The problem is you have a bunch of people not willing to look really hard.

I do agree except with the part about it being a problem. I see us on a natural progression of enlightenment and we are still but very young in our societal mentality.

Sirius

I see us on a natural progression of enlightenment and we are still but very young in our societal mentality.

There are those who say you cant have your own enlightenment. That only the the universal enlightenment of the church is sufficient. One of the reasons Freemasonry and the church have had issues over the years.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
I am of the believe that the fundamentalist that says you can't have your own believe is because they believe theirs is right into the deepest part of their bodies and soul. Now for the old time crusades well that was how things were back then you had to kill a whole whole bunch of people in the name of something for power and as of date modern day religious fundamentalist are not quite the killers of the crusade days. They just are loud mouths that do not have to listened to. Which I also believe probably most of these modern killers have some brain issue and something zags when it should zig which makes them capable of evil hideous crimes but they are not working with the same social functions you and i are. Mommy did not give them enough attention or something along those lines. In the end though maybe in this life or the next the religious fundamentalist will study their religion well enough to see the real message within for themselves and peace will come to them. I think this is a final step and prerequisite to enlightenment, to think you "know" something only to learn it is all in your mind.

Sirius

Now for the old time crusades well that was how things were back then you had to kill a whole whole bunch of people in the name of something for power and as of date modern day religious fundamentalist are not quite the killers of the crusade days.

I'm not so sure, alquida is going to have to start getting up ppretty early to equal what the crusaders did.

But more than that, fundamentalist blow up abortion clinics, shoot doctors, and protest the funerals of soldiers. There should be no doubt, fundamentalism is dangerous, even if it just starts with words, it ends in violence.

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Extremsist won't be able to divvy up the earth again like they did in the 15th century, nor decimate a hemisphere. Not with as much popular support (it would be mechanized with just a few behind it).

A lot has calmed down largely because of "winning." Christian dominated nations aren't challenged (evangelically) by other religions as much as by lapsed Christians.