My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Three Questions?

jonesvilletexas

Premium Member
Masons should be able to answer three questions if Masonry is to be successful.

1. What is Freemasonry?
2. What is its historical purpose?
3. And what makes it different from other fraternal organizations?

So how will you answer?

Jon D. Smith

For number one, another man’s words (unknown author) describe what it is and, what it means to me best:
A Mason is a man who professes a Faith in God. As a man of Faith, he uses the tools of Moral and Ethical Truths to serve mankind.

A Mason binds himself to the like-minded men in a brotherhood that transcends all religious, ethnic, social, cultural, and educational differences.

In Fellowship with his brothers, a Mason finds ways in which to serve his God, his family, his fellow man, and his country.

A Mason is dedicated. He recognizes his responsibility for Justice, Truth, Charity, Enlightenment, Freedom, Liberty, Honesty and Integrity in all aspects of human endeavour.

A MASON IS ALL THIS AND MORE

Number two, I presume you mean after the time that Speculative members were added to the fraternity (of course prior, it was primarily a stone workers guild). I believe the fundamentals listed in answer one above were largely the historical reasons we have developed beyond that of the guild. The driving force to become more and to serve a higher cause.

Number three, is also largely answered above. The majority of other fraternities encircle a close bond of like fellows without necessarily a definitive goal beyond always recognizing each other first. The Masons go far beyond any other fraternity in that we seek to serve a noble cause. Those causes are so well outlined above...for me.