Tilers Oath

Discussion in 'Masonic Jurisprudence' started by Blake Bowden, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Administrator Staff Member

Would the Tilers oath be considered Esoteric work? Unfortunately I was never taught the oath, and it doesn't appear in the Codebook.

2. jonesvilletexas

jonesvilletexas Premium Member

I believe it is.

3. caeservi

caeservi Registered User

it is in the code book, right before the apron presentation, it is labeled the test oath

4. caeservi

caeservi Registered User

and it is limited to master masons only by default due to the contents of the oath

5. caeservi

caeservi Registered User

correct. there is a part that only a master should know.

6. Scotty32

Scotty32 Registered User

We had this discussion one night in lodge not to long ago. One of our bros suggested that we include it as part of the master's proficeny. It is slowly going away.

7. caeservi

caeservi Registered User

if you go to a forum and exam, you are taught it

8. Blake Bowden

Great info! Thanks!

9. owls84

owls84 Moderator Premium Member

I think this is a great idea.

10. Smokey613

Smokey613 Registered User

It was taught me as a part of my MM study. My instructor advised I needed to know it as it may be required to gain entrance into some lodges I visit.

11. Texas_Justice85

Texas_Justice85 Registered User

I had to give it as part of my proficiency

12. Jon D. Smith

Jon D. Smith Registered User

Unfortunately, it was something that I was not taught. I am aware of it and have had it on my list of things to do in the very near future.
    In order for it to not slip though the cracks anymore, I will bring up that it should become part of the test.

13. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Bro. Stewart P.M. Lead Moderator Staff Member

The Tylers Oath was not taught to me as part of the Masters work. I however learned it on my own through the *code book, and I am glad that I did because I needed it to gain admission in Louisiana late last year.

I say make it part of the Masters work.

14. rhitland

rhitland Founding Member Premium Member

Not sure if this was posted but it is in the code book I have under "test oath" on pg 207 right after the trial lecture of a MM. It is simple as a pimple one corection from the book though, it is "nor" not "or", suspended nor explelled

15. JTM

JTM "Just in case" Premium Member

It's definitely esoteric and would fall under "modes of recognition"

16. caeservi

caeservi Registered User

Speaking of the tiler's oath, I just came back froma visit to Alexandria-Washington #22 at the George Washington Masonic Memorial tonight and when they examined me they handed me a card with the tiler's oath on it and told me to read it while my hand was on the bible. I politely told them I didn't need the card and proceeded to give them the oath by memory. They seemed impressed. I then had to give the steps, dugards and penal signs then give the passgrip and word of a master mason. it was very interesting, there ritual is very different than ours, but I was able to follow along fairly well.

17. Jon D. Smith

Jon D. Smith Registered User

That sounds like a great experience.
    If you have the time, it would be wonderful if you could do a little write up in the Traveling Man section of the site to give us some additional information on your experience at their Lodge.

18. Blake Bowden

Oh wow...I bet that was an amazing experience. You represented us texas folks purdy guud!

jermy Bell likes this.
  19. Bro. Kurt

Bro. Kurt 2017 DDGM 14G Premium Member

I was taught the Tilers Oath but was not required to give it during my proficiency exam.

I think it should be required especially if you need to know it for a certificate exam.

20. RedTemplar

RedTemplar Johnny Joe Combs Premium Member

The way I was taught, the Tyler's oath is the test oath for the Master Mason only as EAs and FCs have to be vouched for when visiting other lodges. EAs and FCs cannot try or be tried.

Share My Freemasonry