My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tips for Degree Work

Dre163

Greetings Brothers!

Currently I am the SD of Robert J. Spraggins #163. I have been prepping and teaching a worthy candidate all there is to know of EA. With it being my duty to prepare them for the FC & MM as well, what advice do you all have as far as preparing them for proficiency?

Sent from my LGLS450 using My Freemasonry mobile app

dfreybur

Premium Member
For me it helped to go over what the words mean and why they are like that. Lists of words that mean the same thing as a vocabulary lesson. Knocking sounds because those events are supposed to take place at a door. Walking around in a circle so the Brothers can see you have been prepared properly (psst, stiffen that apron up so he looks like an EA walking around). Walking clockwise from above to symbolize the passage of time so more circles to symbolize later stages of life.

It's the principle of listen-say-do. Each step increases the understanding and that helps the memory.

Matt L

Site Benefactor
SD was my favorite place in the Lodge. As much as I could, when teaching the lecture I would bring the Brother to the lodge and walk him though it. I also explain each part of the lecture by going over the officers part, to tie it all together. I also like teaching the questions and the answers, so they can obtain a lecturers card. It's all mouth to ear here.