Tips for Degree Work

Discussion in 'Becoming a Prince Hall Freemason' started by Dre163, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Dre163

Dre163 Registered User

Greetings Brothers!

Currently I am the SD of Robert J. Spraggins #163. I have been prepping and teaching a worthy candidate all there is to know of EA. With it being my duty to prepare them for the FC & MM as well, what advice do you all have as far as preparing them for proficiency?

Sent from my LGLS450 using My Freemasonry mobile app

2. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

One thing I do with my candidates is to bring them up to the Lodge & put them through a practice proficiency in the Lodgeroom- it seems to help them be not as nervous.

bienf, tldubb, The Traveler and 4 others like this.
  3. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

When I went through the chairs in England I would go to the building and rehearse my part

4. Kenneth NC Mason

Kenneth NC Mason Registered User

That's a great idea !

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

5. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

I think being available and never showing frustration, we've all been there.

Kenneth NC Mason likes this.
  6. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

For me it helped to go over what the words mean and why they are like that. Lists of words that mean the same thing as a vocabulary lesson. Knocking sounds because those events are supposed to take place at a door. Walking around in a circle so the Brothers can see you have been prepared properly (psst, stiffen that apron up so he looks like an EA walking around). Walking clockwise from above to symbolize the passage of time so more circles to symbolize later stages of life.

It's the principle of listen-say-do. Each step increases the understanding and that helps the memory.

tldubb likes this.
  7. Dre163

Dre163 Registered User

Much thanks to each of you. I will be making arrangements shortly with the candidate in order to some of, if not all, that has been suggested.

DeAndre Hibbler, SD
    Robert J. Spraggins #163
    PHA, FAAM
    Memphis, TN

Sent from my LGLS450 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Bill Lins and Warrior1256 like this.
  8. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Good luck to you and your candidate Brother.

Dre163 likes this.
  9. Matt L

Matt L Site Benefactor

SD was my favorite place in the Lodge. As much as I could, when teaching the lecture I would bring the Brother to the lodge and walk him though it. I also explain each part of the lecture by going over the officers part, to tie it all together. I also like teaching the questions and the answers, so they can obtain a lecturers card. It's all mouth to ear here.

10. acjohnson53

acjohnson53 Registered User

I can say Bro. Hibler be patient with them, introduce them to the craft and make them feel at eased.

11. the_widows_son

the_widows_son Site Benefactor

All the brothers here are really giving good advice, I also would definitely highlight what it means to be a Worthy brother. It will help give them the spirit of discernment in their future walk.

Sent from my SM-G930P using My Freemasonry mobile app

CLewey44 and Bill Lins like this.
  12. bienf

bienf Registered User

Excellent tip.

13. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Liked this position very much myself. Also very much like your avatar, lol.

Share My Freemasonry