My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titles

crono782

Premium Member
I would say no. Not in a Lodge at least. It is Brother... Companion... Sir Knight... etc. Adding your world titles seems to go against the maxim that men are equal inside the lodge and not influenced by their honors or titles from without the door. While at the same time it is necessary to recognize the organizational structure of masonry, hence Masonic titles such as master, grand warden, etc. Though to that point, I think sometimes it goes a bit far...

Earline Hardy

Thank you for your thoughts, Brother Cook. I have never heard that in the Order are to lay aside accomplishments for level ground.

Several folks have a difference in opinions on the matter. As I stated earlier, in reading newsletters from various jurisdictions I saw titles used. There was a Grand Master that was a ordained minister and held a doctorate degree. The heading was Reverend Dr. MWGM....

My reason for asking was because someone was displeased because of someone else's email. In their signature line are titles, so when this person receives emails they take issue with what is at the end of the email. I've noticed it is those without a degree who take issue with those who have made a decision to accomplished their educational goals. It's sad to have this type of attitude in the Order. Especially when our goal in the brotherhood or sisterhood is to encourage each other to be the best we can be. Whatever that may be. Again thank you!

Bro. TJ Garrison

I hear Reverend brother quite often. In the open installation of officers in Tennessee if the chaplain is a reverend he will be addressed as Reverend brother.

Elexir

In Sweden we have to give a title/occupation on our application.

Its mostly cultural since we used to be our ockupation (Shoemaker Nilsson etc.), these titels are however not important in lodge.

CLewey44

I'm not a Masonic historian by any means but I believe either when Truman or FDR was President they were active in lodge and their gardener was the WM therefore the President of the United States was calling his gardener W. John Doe. This may just be Masonic lore but I did read something along those lines. I don't believe calling anyone by title is appropriate in lodge other than their Masonic titles. As for reverend, and someone mentioned this, it seems that is common use for the chaplain role and is defined pretty generically as someone of the clergy. I think if you addressed someone as Father Dowling or Rabbi Seinfeld or whatever, that may be too specific?

Bloke

Premium Member
Is it appropriate to use educational and ministerial titles in the Masonic Order?

When I am announcing a visiting brother - I will sometimes use a Military Rank - "RWBro Colonel XXX" - but only when announcing him as a visitor, and even then, generally when installing a Master or he's visiting because of an association through the military... Ministerial (as in of the church) - rarely - but they often have a preference, but Grand Chaplains are always introduced with a Church title if they have one. Of educational titles - only "Dr" but generally not... and only at the specific request, unless he is some eminent professor or the like.. our Steward is Dr (as in has a PHD), if I introduced him like that, it would feel dumb.

Military and Civil Decorations - sometimes - again, if a formal visitor, but I cringe when someone announces mine.

Generally, we only always use them on an Installation Card and on the night of installation, then they fade.

The only one I know who really wanted it used was a Major General - but Generals can be like that :)

CLewey44

When I am announcing a visiting brother - I will sometimes use a Military Rank - "RWBro Colonel XXX" - but only when announcing him as a visitor, and even then, generally when installing a Master or he's visiting because of an association through the military... Ministerial (as in of the church) - rarely - but they often have a preference, but Grand Chaplains are always introduced with a Church title if they have one. Of educational titles - only "Dr" but generally not... and only at the specific request, unless he is some eminent professor or the like.. our Steward is Dr (as in has a PHD), if I introduced him like that, it would feel dumb.

Military and Civil Decorations - sometimes - again, if a formal visitor, but I cringe when someone announces mine.

Generally, we only always use them on an Installation Card and on the night of installation, then they fade.

The only one I know who really wanted it used was a Major General - but Generals can be like that :)
Bro. Bloke, you've piqued my interest and I gotta know, what is your title???

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
I think they should be used when it is applicable to the conversation/event. Such as a leadership conference when a brother is speaking on a topic. Example(s):
Topic - lodge insurance, Speaker - Brother John Jones (realtor)
Topic - Masonic military history, Speaker - Brother John Jones (Sergeant First Class)

But not: Hello, Brother Command Sergeant Major of the Army, Right Reverend, Holder of the Sacred Chalice of Rixx, Jones.

Bloke

Premium Member
Bro. Bloke, you've piqued my interest and I gotta know, what is your title???
I'm just a "WBro" and keep turning down any elevation but as a Director of Ceremonies in a Lodge, here that means we announce visitors... I wrote an obit for a Grand Master who recently passed, ending it with "I best knew MWBro John in jeans and an MG and business shirt and legal documents rather than in an Apron and Chain – but in his passing, I’ve come to appreciate his wide involvement supporting many within and beyond Freemasonry, and in that, he truly earned his lofty title – Brother."

That's the title which matters and "Rank but a guinea's stamp, the man himself the gold"

Bloke

Premium Member
I think they should be used when it is applicable to the conversation/event. Such as a leadership conference when a brother is speaking on a topic. Example(s):
Topic - lodge insurance, Speaker - Brother John Jones (realtor)
Topic - Masonic military history, Speaker - Brother John Jones (Sergeant First Class)

But not: Hello, Brother Command Sergeant Major of the Army, Right Reverend, Holder of the Sacred Chalice of Rixx, Jones.
Here it would be <masonic title> then <other title> <name> <civil and military post nominal(s)> <masonic post nominal> Hence, Brother President Truman or WMBro Maj-Gen Frank Poke AO, RFD, ED PDGM - but when not written, I'd normally say WMBro Maj-Gen Frank Poke AO, PDGM... then there is always the problem of forgetting. LOL... glad I never had to deal with this one ! - Major-General Sir Reginald Alexander Dallas Brooks KCB CMG DSO KStJ KCVO KCMG. He was Governor of Victoria, 19th Grand Master UGLV 1951-1963

Scoops

We always toast the MWGM HRH The Duke of Kent and any of the rulers who have been knighted get their Sir in after their VW or RW.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Scoops

A current toast list (I couldn’t find our province): http://www.hiowmasons.org/province/toast-list/
I don't think our province has published it because it's changed so many times in the last few months, indeed I believe it's due to change again shortly now that our new APGM has received his honours.

I will find out this month, as he's due to make an official visit with full provincial team at our next meeting in January.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk