My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

True & False Acacia

Anon

Premium Member
Greetings Brethren,

Can anyone point me to some information regarding True and False Acacia?
Where each is used, why each is used , their symbolic meanings etc.

and particularly why false Acacia is used on Regalia.

Thankyou

BullDozer Harrell

I think it's a mistake to spend alot of energy seeking out the difference between true & false acacia. In Freemasonry, acacia is just another symbol for hidden virtues and the idea that Life is forever. I hardly see it anywhere mentioned in the 3rd degree legend of Hiram Abiff a certain distinction of a 'real' or 'fake' sprig of evergreen.

Sorry but it's just not there.

May I ask what is the basis for this line of inquiry into the Acacia symbol? Why does it become so important especially since there's no historical or legendary mention of 2 types of Acacia in Freemasonry?

http:// www.sacred-texts.com/mas/sof/sof30.htm

Anon

Premium Member
The most probable reason: The person creating the art didn't know the difference OR it looked prettier.

Maybe, but surely there must be a more substantial answer.
May I ask what is the basis for this line of inquiry into the Acacia symbol? Why does it become so important especially since there's no historical or legendary mention of 2 types of Acacia in Freemasonry?

I came across the reference of False Acacia in a photo of some regalia with the caption "Regalia depicting False Acacia"
I was intrigued by this for no other reason other than the question "Why?"

The only other reference I found was in the "Freemasons Guide and Compendium" on page 490

"Of these many varieties only two have a special meaning for us:
(1) The true acacia, Acacia vera, the Egyptian thorn, one of the varieties of acacia from which gum arabic is obtained; it is a member of the Mimòseæ division of the Leguminòsæ.
(2) The false acacia, Robinia pseudacacia, of American origin and, so far as we know, not grown in thie East until the seventeenthi century. But it is the acacia that is frequently figured in connexion with freemasonry, and the one represented in the emblems on the clothing of Grand Officers. This false acacia is tile common acacia, or locust-tree, to be found in English gardens and greenhouses, and grown for the beauty of its form and yellow flowers.

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
Maybe, but surely there must be a more substantial answer.

I came across the reference of False Acacia in a photo of some regalia with the caption "Regalia depicting False Acacia"
I was intrigued by this for no other reason other than the question "Why?"

The only other reference I found was in the "Freemasons Guide and Compendium" on page 490

"Of these many varieties only two have a special meaning for us:
(1) The true acacia, Acacia vera, the Egyptian thorn, one of the varieties of acacia from which gum arabic is obtained; it is a member of the Mimòseæ division of the Leguminòsæ.
(2) The false acacia, Robinia pseudacacia, of American origin and, so far as we know, not grown in thie East until the seventeenthi century. But it is the acacia that is frequently figured in connexion with freemasonry, and the one represented in the emblems on the clothing of Grand Officers. This false acacia is tile common acacia, or locust-tree, to be found in English gardens and greenhouses, and grown for the beauty of its form and yellow flowers.

"to be found in English gardens and greenhouses" <--- This seems like the reason for me.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
"to be found in English gardens and greenhouses" <--- This seems like the reason for me.
We do quite a few funerals where any locally available evergreen is cut up and its pieces are given to the Brothers who attend to place upon the coffin of the departed Brother. Unless you're a botanical or symbolic purist not focusing upon the more important task at hand, no one will say a word against it. We use what's locally available.

Last edited:

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
In Santa Fe we did a lot of funerals, as there is a national cemetery. The normal evergreen for those is the local juniper. Though we do have an abundance of locust trees (invasive windbreak brought west).

Luigi Visentin

Ancient masonic documents reports about "Cassia" or about "Acacia". Even if both plants exists, most (if not all) scholars think that the first was a misspelling. However the reasons why Cassia is wrong and Acacia is right are not clear. Personally I agree too with the idea that Acacia is right but I think that also Acacia is a misspelling. However I have no evidence about it.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Ancient masonic documents reports about "Cassia" or about "Acacia". Even if both plants exists, most (if not all) scholars think that the first was a misspelling. However the reasons why Cassia is wrong and Acacia is right are not clear. Personally I agree too with the idea that Acacia is right but I think that also Acacia is a misspelling. However I have no evidence about it.
LOL! Right from whose perspective? The whole Freemasonic H.A. tale was a fabrication. :D