My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two members of el campo lodge #918

J

JEbeling

Stanphill named city Employee of the Year

El Campo PD Deputy Chief Terry Stanphill receives a plaque honoring him as city Employee of the Year from John Steelman, city manager.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 1:11 AM CST
City of El Campo workers chose their new deputy police chief as the 2009 Employee of the Year.

Terry Stanphill became El Campo’s deputy chief of police June 1 following the retirement of Chief Jim Elliott and the subsequent promotion of Capt. Terry Marek to the chief’s post.

The department’s lieutenant before his promotion, Stanphill has served in the El Campo Police Department more than 26 years and is a life-long resident of the city. A graduate of the FBI National Academy, Stanphill holds master peace officer certification and has more than 3,500 hours of training.

During the course of his ECPD career, Stanphill patrolled streets, trained new officers, served as a K-9 handler and narcotics detective.

The Employee of the Year honor was presented at the city’s Christmas party Dec. 17.

“I was very pleased and very surprised to receive the award,” Stanphill said.

Nominated by ECPD Administrative Secretary Vicki Roberts, Stanphill was selected by a general vote of city staff.

“I have gotten to know Terry better this year since our promotions,” Roberts said in her nomination letter. “I have a lot of respect for him and his work habits. His attitude towards the citizens of El Campo and his fellow coworkers shows great respect and compassion.”

Stanphill was one of 12 city workers nominated for the honor by their peers.

Other nominees were Joan Rawlinson, Willie Gutierrez, Larry Staff, Pete Gonzales Jr., Liz Staff, Joe Hernandez, Brad Bennetsen, Linda Cruz, Mark Merta, Henry Diaz and John Resendez.

“When I saw the list of nominees I was proud to be on the list,” Stanphill said. “They are all deserving along with several other city employees.

“I did not expect to be chosen. I voted for someone else and had a hard time deciding who to vote for, they were all good choices,” he added.

Rawlinson works in EMS while Liz Staff is the clerk in the inspections department and Larry Staff, a master electrician, serves as the city fire marshal.

“Since having been promoted to lieutenant and later deputy chief, I have worked with employees from other departments more frequently,” Stanphill said. “The city has a lot of dedicated employees who go beyond required duties on a daily basis.

“I keep Larry Staff on speed dial. Anytime the lights go out at the PD, I call him. He is there 24/7, no complaints.

“Joan Rawlinson and Liz Staff have also been great to work with. Anytime I need to coordinate something with the fire department or with the inspection department they are who I go to.”

Merta and Hernandez represented the street department in the nominations while Gonzales, Bennetsen and Diaz work in utilities.

Nominees from City Hall include Cruz and Gutierrez in the finance department while Resendez is the vehicle maintenance foreman.

As the employee of the year, Stanphill earns a $200 bonus as well as the title and recognition.

Last edited by a moderator: