My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UCLA Masonic Conference Protested On Gay Issue

Well, it's starting to get ugly now.

A group calling itself MasonBigotry.org protested today outside of an academic program at UCLA, specifically going after respected professor Margaret Jacob, and demanding that her organization return Masonic sponsorship money because of Georgia and Tennessee's anti-gay policies.

Here is their website.

They also have a list of "demands" on their website (good luck with that, folks). Also on the website, they have posted video of several confrontations with Masonic groups, and even an interview with Pennsylvania's Past Grand Secretary Tom Jackson.

In the grand scheme of things, this is little more than an embarrassment. But especially in California where movements like this are common, I suspect they are going to become more recurrent.

Most of the outside world understands little or nothing about the way Masonic administration works, and making changes in Freemasonry is like trying to stop an aircraft carrier. Because of our rules, attempting to change existing Masonic law can take years to accomplish. That doesn't sit well with "movements" like this, who expect their views to be adopted immediately. So, we will have to deal with this for quite some time, I'm afraid.

Continue reading...

Bloke

Premium Member
Most of the outside world understands little or nothing about the way Masonic administration works, and making changes in Freemasonry is like trying to stop an aircraft carrier. Because of our rules, attempting to change existing Masonic law can take years to accomplish. That doesn't sit well with "movements" like this, who expect their views to be adopted immediately. So, we will have to deal with this for quite some time, I'm afraid.

*sigh* - not a good web site to see .. but to the above comment - here in Victoria we don't need to stop nor change the direction of the aircraft carrier- sexuality and colour of skin are not factors in men becoming a Freemason... and "intergrate lodges?" what, are they calling our Black Brethren to throw away their traditions (ironically born because a Black Man Prince Hall and his friends were regularly initiated into a "white" lodge and run into problems after because of the wide racism once in Nth America in its society) and join "white" lodges - that could be taken as a suggestion somehow white lodges are better than those our Prince Hall brothers operate... me, I'd love to visit a Prince Hall lodge and experience those traditions and fraternity...

The creator of the web site is obviously not a mason (gay, black, yellow, or any other colour etc) and it shows an ignorance about Freemasonry which will be used to try to hurt our organisation. Let's hope it gets no traction, but I fear it may.. Grrr @ Grand Lodges who have opened up this issue, which here is not issue