Various Questions

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by RobertTheBruce, Jan 2, 2016.

1. RobertTheBruce

RobertTheBruce Registered User

I was wondering beyond the more well known side degree and such like the Scottish and York Rites, Shriners, Grotto, Tall Cedars, Rosicrucians, what are some more that aren't commonly listed?
    Also what was the first side degree/appendant body you joined and why?
    Also would appreciate hearing stories about your journey as a Mason, about your petitioning process, ect.
    All these things would greatly help me on my own journey. Thanks in advance.

2. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Jason A. Mitchell and skas like this.
  3. Canadian Paul

Canadian Paul Registered User

The first 'concordant body' I joined was the Scottish Rite. Several members of my lodge were members of Scottish Rite and I was interested in exploring t further the philosophy of the craft beyond what I had learned in the craft degrees.

The 'Royal Order of Scotland' is another lesser-known concordant body which, I note, has no thread in this site. Membership is by invitation only and its ritual seeks to emulate those of the earliest days of the craft. Grand Lodge is located in Edinburgh, Scotland and its subordinate bodies are 'Provincial Grand Lodges'. It works two degrees; 'Heredom of Killwinning' and the 'Rosy Cross'.

4. Glen Cook

ROS is well known in the US. I'm surprised it isn't in Scotland

5. Canadian Paul

Canadian Paul Registered User

It is, of course very well-known in Scotland with its Deputy Grand Master and Governor being often, as at present, a Past Grand Master Mason of the GL of Scotland. I included it under this thread because I understand there is only one Provincial Grand Lodge for the whole of the U.S. and there is no mention of it in the section on 'Appendant Organisations'.

6. Glen Cook

My error. I meant in Canada. You are correct. There is one PGL for the US

7. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

Wow...so many.....

8. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

ROS is well known here in Australia too.

Order of Athelstan (MM and Chapter, then invite)
    Royal Order of Eri (by invitation to SRIA members)
    Commemorative Order of St Thomas Acon (invite only to KT)
    August Order of Light (MM)

are probalbly the 4 most obsure here

I'm only in the Shrine, because i was asked and I liked the idea of being in public as a Mason in some form of regalia...

9. RobertTheBruce

RobertTheBruce Registered User

I believe I had read about the ROS before but only vaguely mentioned in a Wiki article perhaps.
    As well as the Commemorative Order of St. Thomas of Acon.

My first question has been sufficiently answered so let's put that aside for any future posts.

10. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

My first "appendant" body was the American (York) Rite, specifically so I could receive my Mark and become a Royal Arch Mason. I really didn't have much interest in Council (Crytic) or Commandery (Knights Templar) at the time but ended up going through them at the request of my Mentor.

11. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

For some reason 'request' stands out in the above. I would expect to read 'suggestion'....always interested in how folk mentor, would you be willing to elaborate? Did he ask for help in those orders?

12. Brother JC

My Mentor was an amazing man and Mason. He had helped many a man walk the path of Masonry and I was one of the last before he joined the Eternal Grand Lodge. When I mentioned wanting to stop after HRA he asked (suggested, hinted, requested) that I receive the Orders before his time here ended. I did it, makes for him than myself, but in the long run I was glad I did.

Bloke likes this.
  13. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

I would have been glad too. Last year i saw a SW stand aside and let a qualified MM be installed as the MMs father is elderly.... it was a lovely gesture.

Completely understand your mentors request and your compliance. Glad i asked and thanks for the response.

Brother JC likes this.
  14. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

This kind of thing just makes me even more glad that I asked to be a part of such a fantastic organization.

15. Ressam

Ressam Registered User

Dear Gentlemen!
    I've got a question, it came to my mind & I wanted to ask. Excuse me, please, if it'll sound weird, may be:
    Does The Freemasonry has a "Goal" to make -- Freemason/Brother everyone? Or it's OK for it to be some kind of "elitaristic"?
    Thanks!

16. Brother JC

While some people might want to make everyone a Freemason, not everyone has what is required to be a Mason.

tldubb, MRichard, mrpierce17 and 2 others like this.
  17. Ressam

Ressam Registered User

Tryin' to be funny? :D
    This is old one, find sth. new.

18. Ressam

Ressam Registered User

Why I asked this weird question?
    Cause, let's take for example these last words of Albert Pike in "Moral&Dogma":
    [...Such, my Brother, is the TRUE WORD of a Master Mason;
    such the true ROYAL SECRET, which makes possible, and
    shall at length make real, the HOLY EMPIRE of true
    Masonic Brotherhood...]
    I'm tryin' to understand how Brotherhood can become -- "Holy Empire"?
    Holy! And Empire! It's difficult to understand.

19. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

Perhaps you have missed the subject of the chapter. Here is it is

[​IMG]

As you may see it is a set of instructions for alchemy.

Competence in alchemy is proven by the perfecting of matter.

The perfection of matter leads eventually to the Earth itself becoming sacred and with that of course, the human race become sacred - a holy empire of true brotherhood.

Ressam likes this.
  20. Ressam

Ressam Registered User

Thanks for the answer, Mr.James!
    This 2 heads! Hermaphrodites! Androgynys!
    No.
    Probably I'm old-fashioned & I'm adept of Traditional Values!
    All these Eso/Shysotheric things not for me. Definitely.
    Furthermore -- 2000 years ago, Christ showed them all these Alchemic issues, He transformed water to wine, but, they crucified Him.
    I don't underdtand all these things, shortly.
    P.S. I didn't understand You, by the way.(About Holy Empire of Brotherhood).

Share My Freemasonry