My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Violations of the Masonic Oath

CarlGlas

Do you feel deliberately saying bad things about another Mason behind his back, attacking his character, is a violation and grounds for disciplinary action?

My interpretation of Chapter 2 - Article 504-505 of The Laws of The Grand Lodge of Texas says yes.

Last edited:

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
Absolutely!

While is is "human" for us to talk about another, we as a fraternity should hold ourselves accountable and to a higher standard.

Frater Cliff Porter

Premium Member
There isn't much that isn't immoral, unjust, or unfair that wouldn't be a "violation" in the truest sense. But how about pulling him aside and talking with him. It is also a violation of our obligations not to whisper wise counsel, ward of danger, and assist in his reformation if we can. Charges and jurisprudence are a mechanism that we have, but bringing charges out of the gate without further discussion is bad and the GL will likely send you packing and admonish you to work it out.

Bro. Brad Marrs

Premium Member
Frater Cliff Porter said:
There isn't much that isn't immoral, unjust, or unfair that wouldn't be a "violation" in the truest sense. But how about pulling him aside and talking with him. It is also a violation of our obligations not to whisper wise counsel, ward of danger, and assist in his reformation if we can. Charges and jurisprudence are a mechanism that we have, but bringing charges out of the gate without further discussion is bad and the GL will likely send you packing and admonish you to work it out.

I like this approach. We should all hold each other accountable. Thanks Brother Porter!

jwhoff

Premium Member
Brother Porter, as always great advice.

I'll echo that statement about Brother Porter. And I agree totally. We are here to help each other. The first place to go is to the offending brother. He may be more responsive than you think. The oath is stronger than we sometimes give it credit for being.

vanderson78102

Do you feel deliberately saying bad things about another Mason behind his back, attacking his character, is a violation and grounds for disciplinary action?

My interpretation of Chapter 2 - Article 504-505 of The Laws of The Grand Lodge of Texas says yes.

Oh yes I do. Even if it wasn't law already. Gossip will kill any organization including ours.

jwardl

Indeed... and as I hear through the grapevine, GM Carnes has little patience for petty or frivolous Masonic charges.
We brothers should always work toward being better, but never lose sight of the fact that we are flawed human beings, and are still sometimes going to act like it.

Beathard

Premium Member
We have more GL reported violations today than we did 50 years ago. Interesting thing is we have fewer masons now than then. Why? I believe there are two reasons. 1) the three blackball rule instead of one allows questionable men through the door, and 2) we as a society have forgotten how to discuss hard issues. Now we just complain to the authorities.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
We have more GL reported violations today than we did 50 years ago. Interesting thing is we have fewer masons now than then. Why? I believe there are two reasons. 1) the three blackball rule instead of one allows questionable men through the door, and 2) we as a society have forgotten how to discuss hard issues. Now we just complain to the authorities.

I think the fact we have as a society as a whole forgotten how to discuss issues and try to seek a resolution among ourselves. I've seen people sue businesses because one small thing was wrong, without ever bringing it to the business's attention. We seem to have forgotten how to communicate in many instances. I know I can promise you that most men in the lodge have never read the Law Book from cover to cover. I would probably say less then half our JW's have.

But I think that too often in today's world we seek a legal resolution before trying to resolve it between the people in question. Where Masonry is concerned, every lodge has a SW. One of there main responsiblities is to try to peacefuly resolve conflict in the lodge. If he can't then it passed up to the Master of the lodge. But many times, both these avenues are passed over to go straight to GL. Personally, I can see why GM Carnes would have so little patience for petty charges, since we as Masons are taught we are a society of friends and brothers among who no contention should ever exist but that noble content or rather emulation of what can best work and best agree.

fairmanjd

In the Bible, Christians are instructed to not take one other before a magistrate and when there is a grievance between them
and their fellow Christian to settle it among one another even before presenting their tithes and offerings to the Lord.
How it must grieve the Great Architect that his children scuffle and fight amongst themselves to the point that we have become such a litigous society. The things folks will go to the law over would be amusing if it weren't so tragic.
We do well when we give our fellow
man the benefit of the doubt and allow him to correct or clarify himself before taking it to a higher authority. That's just the opinion of this humble petitioner.

Geeksgalore

Well said, we have come across this in our Lodge, and usually when it happens it is most always a communication error or something embellished. It's always best to approach OUT of Lodge and come to a resolution as to preserve HARMONY of the []

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Would someone post the actual rule? It would be helpful to those who do not have access to the TX digest.

Jacob Johnson

CHAPTER 2 - TITLE V: MASONIC DISCIPLINARY VIOLATIONS

Art. 504 Violations Of Obligations And Laws. Every violation of a Masonic obligation, every violation of the Constitution, Laws, Resolutions or Edicts of this Grand Lodge, or usages and customs of Masonry, and every violation of the laws of the United States, a State, or of a municipality, involving moral turpitude is a Masonic disciplinary violation.

Art. 505 goes on to say in item 1 that it is a Masonic disciplinary violation for a Lodge, committee or any combination of Masons, or an individual Mason to:
1. Traduce, slander, libel or falsely accuse any person.