My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Visiting Philidelphia in March : Ideas for Masonic travel?

Kenneth NC Mason

Good Morning Brethren

I'll be heading to Philly during the days of March 9-12. I'm going there to attend the Light of Elmwood Lodge PHA Third Degree that's held every year at the Clarion Motel.

What are some places I should visit in general for sightseeing in Philly ? Is there any good Mainstream lodges or York Rite Bodies in Philly I should visit ?

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
If you can visit a lodge that meets in the GL building, do so. But take the tour, regardless! Such an incredible building.

Kenneth NC Mason

I've heard the ritual used in PA lodges ( Mainstream or Prince Hall) is quite different than what we are used to in the southern states. Can anyone verify for me if this is true?

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing PA PHA Degree work, but apparently their ritual is more similar to ours than PA mainstream is.

I'm also in the York Rite and apparently it's worked a little differently in PA compared to the rest of USA.

Keith C

From my understanding the ritual we use in PA is different than that used in any other state (I have not been to a lodge outside of PA). When the reconciliation between the 'Moderns' and the "Ancients" happened in 1813, every US state except PA had a number of both "Ancient" and "Modern" lodges. These states ended up with ritual practices that were a compromise between the customs of the two. In PA, there were no "Modern" lodges, so no change was made to the ritual, so we still use that of the "Ancients." We also refer to ourselves as "Ancient York Rite Masons."

I am sad to notice that you will be arriving the day after the March Stated Meeting of the my Lodge, it would have been my pleasure to sit in lodge with you.

If you go on the PA Grand Lodge Website, pamasons.org, there is a Lodge Locator link on the left side bar of the main screen, if you click that and type in the City name it will output a list of every lodge in that city. Clicking on the Lodge name will show the lodge secretary's contact info, Lodge address, map of the Lodge location and the day of the month the stated meeting occurs.

Do be sure to visit the Grand lodge, including the museum. A stunning building and amazing Masonic items in the museum.

Kenneth NC Mason

I'm also assuming there is a dress code when visiting lodge as well. I know prince hall has one , but am not sure about mainstream PA lodges. I've had some PA brothers tel me Buisness casual is fine while others have told me I need to be in coat and tie

tldubb

Premium Member
Good Morning Brethren

I'll be heading to Philly during the days of March 9-12. I'm going there to attend the Light of Elmwood Lodge PHA Third Degree that's held every year at the Clarion Motel.

What are some places I should visit in general for sightseeing in Philly ? Is there any good Mainstream lodges or York Rite Bodies in Philly I should visit ?

Good time LOE always has one best 3rd degree performances around. Contact GL of PA for tour times. 1 Broad st., across from City Hall. pamasons.org

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I'm also assuming there is a dress code when visiting lodge as well. I know prince hall has one , but am not sure about mainstream PA lodges. I've had some PA brothers tel me Buisness casual is fine while others have told me I need to be in coat and tie
There used to be a section of the GL website with all that info. You can never go wrong with a dark suit.

Keith C

Most lodges here are coat and tie required for Lodge and dinner before. I am not sure if that is prescribed by the GL or if it is lodge by lodge.

dfreybur

Premium Member

Varies widely lodge to lodge and jurisdiction to jurisdiction. I've seen members expected to be in tuxedo through coveralls okay as long as they are clean.

When in doubt dark suit and tie. But if you're driving home and there are cars in the parking lot of a lodge, dress as you are and see it your work uniform is okay.