Visiting the Grand Lodge of Texas

Discussion in 'The Traveling Freemason' started by nwendele, Jul 8, 2011.

1. nwendele

nwendele Registered User

Waco is just a few miles up the road, so I was thinking about exploring the Grand Lodge. I can't find any hours or visiting info on the website. Who has been up there before? Anything I should look for?

2. Beathard

Beathard Premium Member

8-4:30 check out the museum and library
    Expect the rest of the place to be dark. They are conserving electricity by keeping the lights off.

3. JJones

JJones Moderator Staff Member

Brother Beathard pretty much covered it. You can't say you visited Grand Lodge unless you check out the museum and library, just be warned it's easy to lose track of time in the library if you're a bookworm. :)

4. RAY

RAY Registered User

Its a great place to see but be there early so you will have time to really take a good look. Takes a couple of days to see it all.

5. MikeMay

MikeMay Premium Member

Thanks for the heads up...I have a hard enough time getting out of Barnes and Nobles...

6. Kenneth Lottman

Kenneth Lottman Registered User

Does the museum have a gift shop? Oh and is that 8-4:30 is that mon-fri or 7 days a week?

Sent from my iPhone using Freemasonry

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  7. JJones

JJones Moderator Staff Member

I don't remember seeing one when I was there but I might have over looked it.

I'd actually be kind of surprised if they didn't. ;)

8. tomasball

tomasball Premium Member

I don't think they're open on weekends. There's a very interesting historical collection on the south end of the main lobby, with mementos of Sam Houston and other prominent early Texas masons.

Also consider visiting the Lockwood Scottish Rite Library on Waco Drive. Spectacular building with good library.

I would also put in a plug for the Armstrong-Browning Library on Baylor's campus. Very beautiful edifice dedicated to Bro. Robert Browning.

Share My Freemasonry